putting chickens in open top pen??

flyweed

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Holmen
Hi all, not sure if this is the correct place for this message or not.

Anyway...I have a large area fenced in with 6 ft high fencing for the Emu's that we raise...I also have 4 Bantam Ameraucana's that are currently in one of our quail cages, and they are now fully grown and I feel this cage is just a bit small for them.

Can I put them into the Emu enclosure and not have to worry about them flying out? Do chickens have a tendency to fly much? Could I clip their wings like I do for my parrots?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

From what I understand, and from my experience, they **probably** won't fly out, unless they are really flighty birds. However, I would also worry about hawks and other predators that could come in from the top. You can also clip their wings. There are posts here about that.

I have a 5'4" fenced area and before I put netting on the top my standard Ameraucana could fly out with no problem. She loved walking around the top board. I'm not sure how high bantams can fly compared to standard. My bantam Faverolle is a great flyer!

well like I said..my emu fence is 6ft high, with NO top board...it's chainlink fence..and one side is a 6 ft wooden fence..I do not have problem with predators...I have an electric fence along both the bottom of the cage, as well as the top
So nothin's getting in without a serious shocks and stuff

I think I'll just clip one wing on each bird and call it good. We don't have any issues with hawks..just the occasional stray cat roaming the fenceline.

Dan

My run is 16'x16'and 6ft high with no top covering.Haven't had any problems with my 8 RIR flying out yet so I think that yours will be fine.

I have 6' chainlink, and my Ameraucanas and EE have flown out. I now clip one wing on all the chickens as a precaution. It's better to take the time to do it now, rather than find out after they have flown out.

Oh, and remember that after they molt, you need to clip again. I forgot and the dogs almost got my Ameraucana roo.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom