Putting chicks and broody back in the coop

sixchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
I've had my Wynadotte hen and her four chicks in a pen away from the coop since the chicks hatched. The chicks are four weeks today and almost completely feathered. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it is cool at night. When can I introduce the hen and her chicks back to the coop? I have two Rhode Island Red hens in the coop and a large rooster. The rooster has been out of sorts since I took the Wynadotte out of the coop and is overmating with the Rhodies....Don't know if anyone in the coop will be aggressive with the chicks. What next? Would anyone suggest integrating the hen back into the coop and waiting until the chicks get bigger or should the mom and babies stay together? Help...first timer with all this.

I would maybe try them around each other during the day where you could observe their behavior. I tried seperating mine when my 4 chicks hatched in May and had them out for a week and I was letting them all free range and mama decided to take them into the pen w/ the rest of the chickens. If any of the other ones went towards them in any aggressive maner she put them in their place! They have been in there ever since and another of the hens has actually adopted them and mothers them too.

Back
Top Bottom