When Should I Integrate Chicks?

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
I know there are a lot of threads discussing integration, but I thought I would just ask for advice since my situation is unique.

I have two coops: the first is for my adult hens, though in the warmer months they refuse to sleep in the coop and roost in the trees at night (I've come to the conclusion that they're completely safe up there, and they're happier as well) so right now the adult coop just has my two ducks sleeping in it, and I've also got a section boarded off for my broody with her chicks in there. My second coop has my thirteen, seven-week-old chicks in it. There's a little run attached to that coop so the chicks can be outside and can see the adult hens through the chicken wire.

Yesterday I let the older chicks out for the first time. I have a little exit set up that's too small for the older hens to get through, and I supervised the whole time. Everything went super well; basically no bullying and they were all relaxed, which surprised me since some of the chicks are little silkies, and I was expecting them to get bullied a bit.

Anyway, how soon do you think I can move the chicks into the adult coop? They'll be alone in there with the ducks at night, so that should be fine, but they won't have an emergency area to go to if they're being bullied during the day (I have a pretty cluttered run, if that makes it any better for the chicks.) I want to move them into that coop quickly, because my broody with her chicks is getting a little cramped in the area she's in, and I want to move her into the second coop.

And if you're wondering why I don't just let my broody in with the flock, it's because my cats will chase young chicks and possibly eat them, which is obviously not an option.

So sorry if this is confusing, integrating chickens, in general, can be a lot, what with all the varying ages and temperaments of your flock. :p

I let temperature guide me, with the basic idea that earlier is generally better, as the chicks can "learn to chicken" sooner.

This year, my February chicks went out at 5 or 6 weeks
My March chicks went out at 4 weeks
My April checks went out at 3 weeks

In May a few hens went broody and I chose some eggs for them, so now there's another 10 chicks that were born in the main coop, and that is BY FAR my favorite way, since there is no tense integration period.

I do understand your fear about the cats, though, depending on the cats and the hens. Some hens are more protective than others.👿

I let temperature guide me, with the basic idea that earlier is generally better, as the chicks can "learn to chicken" sooner.
Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me. I'm mostly worried about my silkies, since they're so tiny and not as smart.
I do understand your fear about the cats, though, depending on the cats and the hens. Some hens are more protective than others.👿
My broody last year almost had one of her chicks eaten by a cat. I saved the chick judt in time, and that chick is actually now my current broody hen. :D Neither of the broodies seem especially protective, though.

Back
Top Bottom