Putting Chicks Together

birdlady79

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
West Tennessee
Hi, I have 1 BO and 1 EE that I've had since Tues. Both are doing great. I've been feeding them the medicated starter bc I got them from the feed store and dont know where they order from.... My question is I'll be getting 2 more tomorrow from a different feed store. 1 welsummer and 1 BR...Can I stick them all together or do I need to separate? Oh if so, for how long?

I got 6 cochins on Saturday and 6 leghorns on Thursday - despite only being about a weekish apart on age - the Thursday chicks were much smaller and tried to snuggle in under the cochins. They were also totally exhausted from their long day and wanted to sleep - the cochins were pecking at the smaller babies eyelids so I separated them. I figure when I move them both to a new brooder I can mix them then when the Thursday babies are a bit stronger. I am new at this -- probably would have ben ok, but I didn't want to chance it

I got 6 cochins on Saturday and 6 leghorns on Thursday - despite only being about a weekish apart on age - the Thursday chicks were much smaller and tried to snuggle in under the cochins. They were also totally exhausted from their long day and wanted to sleep - the cochins were pecking at the smaller babies eyelids so I separated them. I figure when I move them both to a new brooder I can mix them then when the Thursday babies are a bit stronger. I am new at this -- probably would have ben ok, but I didn't want to chance it
I would do the same my cochin hen was a bully as a chick, But your leghorn are small and should get to grow a little then put togher or slipt the brood in half with hardware cloth so all the chick still see one another after a few take the hardware out.

Thanks for advise all.. My 2 peck at each other then snuggle.. I'm new at this as well... Any advise on how to keep chicks from getting bored ?

Thanks for advise all.. My 2 peck at each other then snuggle.. I'm new at this as well... Any advise on how to keep chicks from getting bored ?
I dont really know. Try something like a cat toy ball hanging over head or something in that order. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom