Putting chicks under a broody *New pics added on page 4!*

Mom will get extremely bored after a week. Is there some way you could make a place in a small corner of the coop for her and the chicks?
You could do 2 screens, cardboard, etc to make a little place in the corner. Maybe while the older chickens are out in the run or yard, momma and chicks could have run of the coop.

I have a place that opens up to her own "baby run". She can take the chicks out but other chickens can't get in.

Be careful about them being around the other chickens, they may try to kill the chicks. I'd wait until they're at least 3 weeks old before letting them hang together. Every Mother hen is different.

How very sweet your chicks are and a good mama too
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

the first and second one look like white crested black polish chicks. you are so lucky that your silkie took the store bought chicks... because i bought a chick from the store today and tried to put it under my broody and she went absolutely nuts and was attacking it! then I tried to put it under my other broody and she just ignored it... but he's under heat lamp now so he's fine!

Poor Cloudy was broody for a YEAR!!?? That poor little hen. I'm glad she finally got what she wanted! They are all adorable BYW.

Back
Top Bottom