Putting chicks with layer

Rosy Wattles

Hatching
Feb 20, 2024
I have a 2 year old Wyandotte hen. Recently, her flock mates were killed by raccoons that broke into the chicken run (I have no idea how she survived). I want to get her new flock mates but the last time I did that she didn't bond well with the other hens. She hasn't started laying yet this year but she is on the verge. She's spending a lot of time in the laying box and her comb is bright red. Recently, I saw two ~10-day-old chicks at a feed store. I'm wondering if I snuck the chicks in her laying box at night, if she would then bond with them and raise them, thereby ending her solitary state. Of course I would keep an eye on them to make sure she didn't attack them, but I just have the feeling she would accept them. If she did, would this mess up her laying cycle?

If she's not broody, there is almost no chance the chicks are going to walk unharmed. If she is broody, then her laying cycle would have already ended. Get her some grown pullets, and after they've finished with quarantine, do a "see no touch" introduction for a while before letting them be together barrier free. You could try setting up an outdoor brooder inside the coop, so she gets used to the chicks, and once they're older let them be together

Older hens don't normally bond with chicks or even mostly grown pullets. After a see no touch time there will likely still be a little scuffling. Hopefully once the new birds and the older hen have decided who is in charge they will be able to live in peace. Once the new birds are of laying age they may start to function more like a single flock.

I have a 2 year old Wyandotte hen. Recently, her flock mates were killed by raccoons that broke into the chicken run (I have no idea how she survived). I want to get her new flock mates but the last time I did that she didn't bond well with the other hens. She hasn't started laying yet this year but she is on the verge. She's spending a lot of time in the laying box and her comb is bright red. Recently, I saw two ~10-day-old chicks at a feed store. I'm wondering if I snuck the chicks in her laying box at night, if she would then bond with them and raise them, thereby ending her solitary state. Of course I would keep an eye on them to make sure she didn't attack them, but I just have the feeling she would accept them. If she did, would this mess up her laying cycle?
Raise the chicks for 3 weeks separately and introduce them to the flock. Most of the time this works well.

Raise the chicks for 3 weeks separately and introduce them to the flock. Most of the time this works well.
No. This rarely works as simply as you say. Unless you can provide enough safe hiding places for the chicks/young pullets I would not try this.

Chicks, newborn or several weeks old will not be accepted as flock mates most of the time. Separate them behind hardware cloth for as long as it takes. Just one pullet will be more easily accepted (in general).

Or..
If your hen starts laying again and winter comes to an end you can put several fake eggs in the nest. If she is broody and only comes of the nest once a day to eat, drink and poop you can replace the fake eggs with hatchery eggs. But keep in mind about 50% of the eggs will be cockerels. And not all eggs will hatch. With 6 hatchery eggs you have a reasonable chance to gain 2 pullets.

In the past I had 2 12 week old young pullets and added 4 younger chicks of about 6 weeks old.

The older ones made life very miserable for the young ones. Until I provided the chicks a good hiding place where the 12 week old couldn’t come. It took them several weeks to accept each other.

I never tried this again. I rather add eggs in a broodies nest. To avoid the attacks but also to avoid bringing in diseases.

Possibly the breed and characters make a big difference. My Dutch are not the cuddly type of chickens.

If she did accept the chicks, yes it probably would mess up her laying cycle (she would be mothering chicks, not laying eggs.)

She will probably not accept the chicks if you try what you suggest. Most hens will not.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
^This article might be helpful. It discusses one way to raise chicks in the coop, and introduce them to the older flock at an early age, but without putting the chicks in danger. This would also give your hen some companionship as soon as possible (chicks are right there), but not force her to interact if she doens't want to.

Since you only have one hen, her individual personality will make a big difference. She might ignore the chicks, or she might hate the chicks and chase them at every opportunity, or more likely she will ignore them unless they come too close (into her personal space), and chase them if they do. She is unlikely to adopt them and raise them as her babies (it is possible, just not very likely. Very few hens will adopt chicks of this age, especially since the hen has not been broody first.)

Back
Top Bottom