Putting Ducklings together with Older ones

Srunnerduck

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
I have 2 week old Runner ducklings and 5 week old Pekins, I'd like to get them all together in the coop soon. The last couple of days have been 80-90 degrees so I've put the Runners out in a seperate fence inside the run so the older ones can see them. Bringing them back inside to their "brooder" for the night.
The Pekins are huge compared to them, but I thought I could seperate my coop down the middle and have a lamp still for the young ones, and get them used to each other.
Any thoughts on what age or size I could let them all be in the same space together without issues?

How many of each breed? I’d say your Runners should be at least 5-6 weeks old before they are cooped together with out any barrier. Your Pekins will be like tanks compared to your Runners. Your plan to split your coop with heat for your little 2 weeks old is a good idea. Just make sure your heat source is secure very secure. And they can get away from it if needed.

Last edited:
4 Pekins (well, actually one is a Saxony I guess). And 10 runners right now, but 6 will go to another home in about a week.
Thanks for the advice 👍

Love to see some pictures!
IMG_20200605_104722762.jpg
IMG_20200605_112129545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom