Putting Ducks and Geese Together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SkyWarrior, Jul 14, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I just adopted two Rouen ducks and currently have them in a separate pen next to my 2 geese and 1 turkey. I'm hoping that they all get acquainted and get friendly enough so I might introduce them in the same pen. I'm thinking of introducing them in the daytime in the outdoor run while I'm home to avoid problems. Eventually, I want them to share the same inside pen -- I have 2 dog houses that will work for duck nests and 72 square feet of space in the pen.

What would you recommend? Does any of this sound okay?
  2. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    72 square feet is pretty small.... It'll get dirty real quick, depending on what you use for flooring. As far as their personalities goes... They SHOULD be fine, though you can always have the rare individual who doesn't get along.

I have jumbo pekins, indian runners, and pilgrim geese. Sometimes durring the breeding season, one or two of the pekins won't get along with the geese, but I've never had a problem with the runners. Maybe it's because the pekins and the geese are so similar in size...... The ganders will try to mate with the pekin females, or the pekin drakes will have a thing for one of the geese. If that happens, you could just separate them durring the breeding season. The rest of the year they seem to get along fine.

good luck!
  3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Thanks! I also have an outdoor pen that I let the geese and turkey out in. That area is probably around 150 ft total. (Inside run is 72 feet and used at night) The outside run is gravel; the inside is wood chips over concrete. I have 2 geese, 1 turkey and now the 2 ducks. I'm hoping that they will be happy with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by