Putting eggs under a broody

The other thing to consider is that shipped eggs often have poor hatch rates -- the rough and tumble of shipping can be rough on eggs!

For example, I put 15 eggs in my incubator last year and 5 hatched (I've previously had 90% to 100% hatch rates with non-shipped eggs).

So, I would do as Ridgerunner suggests. Put what is comfortable under your hen, and the rest in the bator. Then, candle everything at day 10 and remove any duds from under the hen or in the incubator. If there are several duds, you can transfer remaining viable eggs in the bator, to the hen, and let her do the rest.

Thanks again for all the great advice from everyone. Eggs get here tomorrow but I will move her tonight and partition off a space for her. Only question I have is that this will keep her confined to the coop as I don’t see a way to give her and everyone else access to the pop door. If she has enough space in her area is this a problem?

Thank you

Did you say your eggs will be shipped? If so, it is recommended that you let them sit over night so the air cells can reattach. Sorry if someone already mentioned that in this thread, I did not see it if they did.
Good luck with your broody, it's always so fun to see the hen with her chicks!

7296C389-A9C3-489A-B864-E70D4FA601B8.jpeg C78E75AF-4324-4CDE-B604-BCBEEF4F37B0.jpeg 87C016D0-BFDE-4942-AAFC-ED45C88189C1.jpeg
Here’s what we ended up with. Not beautiful but functional . I put 5 eggs she had sat on all day plus my 2 fake eggs in that box and then put her in it. She almost immediate tucked the eggs underneath her so we promptly shut out the light. Hoping to switch the eggs out for the fertile ones around 5am. I’m still debating what I want to do as far as incubating. I’ll probably split them... should probably go set up the incubator. Do you candle your broody eggs or just let them be? In the incubator I usually candle at least at 7 and 14 days as well as immediately before lockdown.

I never candle eggs under a broody hen, the logistics just aren't good. I typically candle incubator eggs at 7 days and at lockdown, removing any that are clear at lockdown.

Candling does not help them hatch but as long as your hands are clean and you don't drop one and crack it, candling doesn't hurt either. For me, candling is primarily to satisfy my curiosity, not as an aide to hatching.

So, here is the plan-

I'm going to isolate the broody (Astrid the Australorp/Leghorn mutt) in the coop with access to food, water, and a nest. She is definitely broody but inconsistent with the nest she returns to so I'll remove the availability of alternative options. I will proactively give her a permethrin dust bath. I do not have a mite issue in the coop. My rooster has/had a possible case of scaly leg mites but he is in quarantine nowhere near my coop and has been treated chemically. He will remain out there until there is visible healing on the few scabs on his legs or for at least 30 days, whatever happens first. I believe he has made progress, I'm going to check on him tonight. I like the idea of giving Astrid the option of outdoor time every day so I will try that and see if she's interested. I'm comfortable with this plan. As @Ridgerunner points out, nothing is completely fool proof and there are trade offs but I think this is a reasonable enough plan.

One final question-my egg seller shipped me extras (of course) so I have 15 speckled sussex eggs. I assume this is way too many to put under her but I'm really just guessing. They're resting now and my plan is to put her in her new broody area this evening and slip the eggs under her in the morning. Should I do all 15? If not, how many? If I do the remaining in my incubator my plan would be to give her the chicks immediately after hatching. Alternatively, I will just discard the extras. I have a way to re home roosters, If I get 2 sussex hens out of this ordeal, mission accomplished

:bow

I am not aware of Australorps or Leghorns having good reputations as broody hens, so I will offer this experience. Two years ago one of my Crevecoeurs started setting on eggs, both hers and her sisters' eggs, so she was setting on quite a pile. I kept an eye on her, because setting behavior is rare in Crevecoeurs. Sure enough, she killed the first baby that hatched. She probably thought it was a mouse or other predator. I fired up the incubator and moved all the rest of the eggs to the warmed up incubator. Of the 19 eggs she was setting on, 18 hatched, including the one she killed, and only one was an early loss. So, pretty amazing broody, but no good as a mother.
When chickens are selected to not be broody, you don't know what parts are missing of their "programming" to raise their next generation. This goes for roosters, too. Until you are certain that a particular hen or roo is good with chicks, make no assumptions, especially if the breed is reputed to be non-setter. And be prepared with an incubator or brooder box to step in, if you are serious about raising chicks.

It depends on the hen. Some get them out within 24 hours, some hang out up to 3 days. It also depends on what is going on in the nest. A lot will linger over unhatched eggs. If I understood your prior posts correctly, there are no more eggs under her? If so, I would expect her to make her exit soon.

And, pictures please, if you are able. I love seeing a new broody with her chick(s).
Yes, she only has the 1 chick and possibly some eggshell left. No chick sightings yet but here is crabby Astrid on her baby. She’s being a good mama, very protective.
2D8C7DFD-2D5D-4FC0-8038-377BFA767E32.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom