Putting eggs under a broody

7296C389-A9C3-489A-B864-E70D4FA601B8.jpeg C78E75AF-4324-4CDE-B604-BCBEEF4F37B0.jpeg 87C016D0-BFDE-4942-AAFC-ED45C88189C1.jpeg
Here’s what we ended up with. Not beautiful but functional . I put 5 eggs she had sat on all day plus my 2 fake eggs in that box and then put her in it. She almost immediate tucked the eggs underneath her so we promptly shut out the light. Hoping to switch the eggs out for the fertile ones around 5am. I’m still debating what I want to do as far as incubating. I’ll probably split them... should probably go set up the incubator. Do you candle your broody eggs or just let them be? In the incubator I usually candle at least at 7 and 14 days as well as immediately before lockdown.

The other thing to consider is that shipped eggs often have poor hatch rates -- the rough and tumble of shipping can be rough on eggs!

For example, I put 15 eggs in my incubator last year and 5 hatched (I've previously had 90% to 100% hatch rates with non-shipped eggs).

So, I would do as Ridgerunner suggests. Put what is comfortable under your hen, and the rest in the bator. Then, candle everything at day 10 and remove any duds from under the hen or in the incubator. If there are several duds, you can transfer remaining viable eggs in the bator, to the hen, and let her do the rest.
I think I was asking my candling question as you were typing this :)

Maybe it is just luck, but all of my Ebay eggs have hatch rates in excess of 50%. These were packaged a little differently than my other shipped eggs but not necessarily poorly. Time will tell, I guess. Hopefully she hatches some and they are easily integrated into the flock.

View attachment 1726590 View attachment 1726591 View attachment 1726592
Here’s what we ended up with. Not beautiful but functional . I put 5 eggs she had sat on all day plus my 2 fake eggs in that box and then put her in it. She almost immediate tucked the eggs underneath her so we promptly shut out the light. Hoping to switch the eggs out for the fertile ones around 5am. I’m still debating what I want to do as far as incubating. I’ll probably split them... should probably go set up the incubator. Do you candle your broody eggs or just let them be? In the incubator I usually candle at least at 7 and 14 days as well as immediately before lockdown.
That set up should work just fine. Please keep us posted as to how to all works out.

First marans chick out surprised me went to close them in lifted to see about silky eggs
oops baby photo's in the morning

I have always left broody with flock. But I am blessed to have a rooster who helps protect broody and chicks.
He sits on nest when broody get off to do her business and get right off when she comes back. My broody has her babies out with flock within 3 days. I have 6 broodies right now and I am not going to separate them from flock. Everyone does things different. Good luck with your hatch.

I never candle eggs under a broody hen, the logistics just aren't good. I typically candle incubator eggs at 7 days and at lockdown, removing any that are clear at lockdown.

Candling does not help them hatch but as long as your hands are clean and you don't drop one and crack it, candling doesn't hurt either. For me, candling is primarily to satisfy my curiosity, not as an aide to hatching.

I might candle broody eggs once at about 10 days, just to pull duds.
Incubator I go 7-14-18 to trace air cells and adjust humidity...
....more often if I find issues when candling before setting.

UHG!! That would change my views too!
It was quite the mess. I did my best to clean her and her nest up after it happened, but there was only so much that could be done. She was sitting on 11 eggs -- and ended up with 3 live chicks. Eggtopsies showed a lot of fully developed, but unhatched chicks.

Back
Top Bottom