Putting 'fake eggs' in the chicken coop

Funny...we have never used a fake egg golf ball or any other thing to help our hens and they still lay in the nest boxes..and the free range hideouts for those that free range.
Fake eggs make hens lay just like they won't lay without a rooster around
big_smile.png

I've also read that since the fake eggs or golf balls are hard and if the chickens peck them the will think twice about pecking a real egg.

All my girls will go to the nesting box with the most eggs to lay theirs!

Will they work with bantams cause one of the trios i have wont lay. my little brother started with his chickens way after me and his hens have like 40 eggs.
hmm.png

I have to get some fake eggs. My girls have been laying for months now and it seems like they pick a different spot every other week. I don't think they have ever layed any in the nesting boxes.
barnie.gif

One of my girls kicked the fake eggs out of the boxes into the coop and then out to the run floor! I have no idea why. The two that are laying both lay on the shavings in the corner of the coop between the cement blocks with the heated dog dish on it and the PVC feeder. Silly girls!

Quote:
LOL! That is hilarious! I just thought of a question - how many eggs will you get if you put a golf ball in a chicken roost???? Answer: FOUR!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Had to read this over again twice before I got it........I'm a little brain dead today-and I golf!

I used golf balls in the boxes since the chickens were 15 weeks. I put one ball in each of the two boxes. After a while I noticed that about three of the four pullets were useing one of the boxes all the time. For an experiment I put both balls in the least used box. The birds started to lay most of their eggs in the box with two balls. I switched back to one ball in each box and they reverted back to the other box.

I used golf balls in the boxes since the chickens were 15 weeks. I put one ball in each of the two boxes. After a while I noticed that about three of the four pullets were useing one of the boxes all the time. For an experiment I put both balls in the least used box. The birds started to lay most of their eggs in the box with two balls. I switched back to one ball in each box and they reverted back to the other box.

That's interesting - my hen laid her first egg in the place I put 2 fake eggs, and then I scattered 4 more around. So tomorrow, I'll put 3-4 fake eggs in the same roost and see if the other pullets will start to lay there. Thanks for the hint.​

One of my four chickens just started laying- coincidentally just a couple of days after I put some plastic eggs in the nest boxes (I didn't actually expect any of them to start laying for a little while yet).

Back
Top Bottom