Putting in Peepers....

missred871

Eggxhausted Momma
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Perry GA
OKay so I ordered some for my spring pheasants, there are quite a few males in the bunch and I have had tail picking issues... but how the heck to I put the peepers in? I have the plastic kind that are supposed to go through the nostrils... I dont want to hurt them, so can someone explain this one to me... the peepers didnt exactly come with instructions lol

Hello,
I recently just had to place thm on my pheasants and the only way I found was to strech them a bit and then have somebody help you hold your birds head becuse when you try to get it on they will move around.
Good Luck

Quote:
Well I need all the luck I can get lol. I am using plastic pins. Is there a hole through both nostrils or will I have to puncture cartilage?

Not sure what you are saying but yes they have nostrils on both side of there beaks. Just make sure you put them on right because they are almost imposssible to take off when placed on wrong whithout hurting the bird. There is a small piece that goes on the top make sure you don't place it upside down because they won't be able to eat if you do.

Quote:
Well I need all the luck I can get lol. I am using plastic pins. Is there a hole through both nostrils or will I have to puncture cartilage?

It's very easy to do. I usually sit on a bucket with the bird on my lap and kinda between my knees, that will help control the bird.

THere is a small membrane in between the nostrils.

I put the pin thru on the right side of the peeper before I even catch the bird (im right handed). Once you have the bird, insert the pin thru the nostril; I try to insert it thru the end- closer to the end of the beak, the membrane at that end of the nostrils is thinner. Once thru nostrils, line up with hole on other side of peeper and push thru so pin locks into place.

Keep a side cutter, scissors, cliper or some tool with you. So that if you have trouble with it you can cut the pin to start over with a new peeper.

Back
Top Bottom