Putting lime in the chicken pen?

OK, simple chemistry lesson!
big_smile.png

Slaked or hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) = BAD
Agricultural lime (calcium carbonate) = GOOD

Just check the bag out and see which one it is. Get pelleted if you can, it's less dusty & easier to apply. You can get it at garden centers, too.

Agri lime is safe, and if they eat the lime it is calcium carbonate anyway, so it acts like oyster shells. Pelletized it much less dusty and easier to work with. I have some pelletized and may give it a go in the run myself.

I was just told recently that lime will help with the creeping buttercup I have invading everywhere. That would be the Ag lime and not the hydrated if I want to use it around my animals correct?

I was just told recently that lime will help with the creeping buttercup I have invading everywhere. That would be the Ag lime and not the hydrated if I want to use it around my animals correct?

It should always be "AG Lime", but all it's going to do is change the Ph of your soil.

I wouldn't bet on it affecting the buttercups at all​

After using barn lime my chickens got runny buttoned up eyes. Then one died & very sadly i lost today my baby franklin my big rooster. They were gasping for breath & were hacking & coughing. I just added abt 2 weeks ago i added 2 new chickens & ghey were not in good condition body wise. One of these chickens avtually died setting off this whole mess. Then i added barn lime & i lost my pet rooster. Do u think it was one of the 2 that i just got or did i kill them with the lime?? Please help. Thanks

I am betting you brought a diseased chick into the flock, ALWAYS keep new animals separated for 2 weeks before adding to your other stock. Keep them in a makeshift thing in the garage if you need to, but away from anyplace your stock run.If they show signs of illness, get it checked or put the animal down. I am no vet, just many years of doing this. I have found mistakes are the best lessons, NEVER be ashamed to ask for help or tips.
16 years ago I would process up to 50, 8 week old meat rabbits at a time. Used lime all the time under them and the chickens were nuts eating the red worms I raised as well.
I have been raising rabbits, chickens, quail, and a couple ducks since child hood. I use the lime from TSC (barn lime) helps prevent slipping and leg injuries. I have never had an issue with it. I also put it on top of my compost area. I live in the city now and no complaints yet from folks. Most didn't even know I have them. Good house keeping, and offering some eggs, or cooked meats to try doesn't hurt. Now they want to pay me for stuff. Also offer your poop for their gardens

Just for general info, the TSC lime I get is called (Shure Tread Barn Lime) it states it has no caustic I believe added. It is also not fine ground, I use this stuff in the run, the large outside pen, My quail drop pan, under my Bob pen on top of compost pile ( all of my rabbit pee and poo run down a gutter into a bucket. I have the cages on 2 levels each gutter goes to it's bucket) this can be ripe so the lime seals it on the compost, for lack of a better word. I even put some in the chickens favorite dusting area, along with "FOOD GRADE" Diotomatiouse Earth, and some 7 insect powder. back as a child we used this dust for dogs, cats, coops. That's all there was and worked as a flea and other critter powder. You can also mix this DIO earth in any animal feed (like a quarter cup to 15 lbs. cat food, mix it, and feed it to the animals. They don't even know it's there, as it will destroy parasitic worms. It's added, or was to tooth paste for that cleaning grit you feel.

Just make sure it's ag lime. I just bought a 50# bag @ rural king for about 3 dollars... its safe to use around you chickens. It's more gray in color../img/smilies/frow.gif

That's exactly what I use barn lime from rural king. It's a little paper bag that weighs 50 lbs and is about 3 bucks. I also use the deep litter method in my coop and in addition to sprinkling in the chicken yard I also sprinkle it on top of the deep litter (wood shavings) on the coop floor.

Been using it 3 years now - works like a champ to take the odor down and keep the flies at bay with zero problems.

A little goes a long way

Last edited:
I need to look into this deep litter method, my coop has a removable tray I am going to fix it tues and wed, as it has rotted (TIN FLOOR) it will coated in rubber this time. I raise red worms as well, maybe this would allow me to be shed of this tray or drawer.

speaking of flies, those bell shaped plastic use and toss ones at TSC that have a nasty smelling bait, is a fly destroyer. It is about center of rabbitry, quail battery, and chickens. I think this thing draws them from other houses even. I have never seen that much fly action at my pens. I also use 2 box fans in my rabbitry and a 8 or 10 inch round one at the quails. The air flow keeps flies and gnats simply gone. The critters love the air flow, none of them are on high speed, just keeps fresh air flowing.

Back
Top Bottom