Putting my Budgie to bed

Calea

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 25, 2011
I got a young budgie from a really good shop that hand raises the babies and he is super sweet and super tame already. Just love him. He is really getting comfortable with us and loves getting out and riding around on my shoulder. The only time that doesn't seem quite right is his bedtime. They told me to cover him at night but I'm not sure WHEN I should do this. It seems whenever I go to cover him, he gets scared. He's not scared any other time of the day. Am I waiting too long to cover him? Sometimes he's groggy and has been half asleep when I do it. I don't want to cover him too soon. I hate seeing him look all scared when I cover him (although he doesn't make any sounds) Last night he hung onto the front of the cage when I started putting the cover on. I kept waiting for him to get on his perch, but I finally had to just cover him as he was. This morning he was on his perch. Am I doing something wrong? This is my first budgie.

Thanks!

I had this trouble with a 10 week old Lovebird once. She would panic when the cover was put on at night. So what I did was at first, I only put the cover on on the back of the cage. Then a few days later, I pulled it up only a tiny bit over the top of the back of the cage. I kept pulling the cover over the cage in small increments until the cage was covered to my liking. She never got too scared with the slowly moved cover.
smile.png

Thanks for the reply. I just went in to cover him, he was all groggy and I just softly said goodnight baby..and slowly pulled it up.. he seemed fine. Thank goodness! lol I think it was because I didn't have a fluid motion last night and ended up horrifying him! lol Thanks for your help!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom