putting new baby chicks with 1-2 week old chicks?

superdeluxe

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2014
I know it’s advised that when you bring new birds into the flock, you are supposed to do it gradually (for example putting them at night while roost).

But what 2-3 day old chicks with 1-2 week old chicks, any fear there?

I did put 3 day olds with 8-9 day olds without issues but I had 2 heat sources (a heating pad on one side and a heat lamp on the other) and I made 2 feeding stations. I never saw any issues so maybe I just got lucky

If no mama hen is involved, I would think they could intermingle, and sooner would be better than later, at one week with a heat source I would think you are ok. I am interested to hear how this goes.

Well, it was cool and rainy for days with lows in the 40s when I wrote this. I would have to run a 100 ft extension to put the heat lamp out, and we decided just to keep them in the bin we used for a brooder, because I didn’t think the wet ground would help anything. So, they went to the Omlet run for visiting. The mama hen tolerated their presence but would not nurture them and her chicks chased the babies. I also tried them on another hen that went broody when they were like 2.5 Weeks, and it was too late. They have spent all day in the Omlet with the teenage chicks for a week, and this week will start to sleep in the coop, I am not sure but I think I will put them in a nesting box, that is where the medium chicks are now sleeping. They don’t seem to return to it during the day. This is alot of chick politics. Thanks for your interest, supply kept them from being closer together, there wasn’t much I could have done about availability.

Also as a side note, there were two mother hens, one left her chick at 4 weeks and the other at 6 weeks. She sometimes hangs around with them in the yard, but otherwise doesn’t really have anything to do with them any longer. Mom 1 is out, she really lost heart after the bassett ate two of her babies.

Just about 3 weeks ago we did that. We had some 2 week old chicks and brought in a few probably 3 day old ones. There was a noticeable size difference but no issues as a result from it. It would not be out of the realm of possibility I wouldn’t think for an occasional issue with them crowding and smothering a smaller one or trampling one, but as long as there is plenty of room and not too crowded and adequate space at waterers and feeders I would think it would be relatively safe. If there are bigger chicks or much over 2 weeks old I would be very cautious about it.

I know it’s advised that when you bring new birds into the flock, you are supposed to do it gradually (for example putting them at night while roost).

But what 2-3 day old chicks with 1-2 week old chicks, any fear there?

If the brooder is big enough, it should be fine.
But pay a bit of attention to how many, and what ratios.
50 big chicks, 2 little ones? Bad idea.
3 of each age? Probably fine.
3 big ones, 10 little ones? Even safer.

One time, I had a brooder 4 feet by 7 feet.
On Wednesday, I got 16 standard-sized chicks from one hatchery and put them in.
A week later on Thursday, I got 36 chicks from another hatchery and added them (16 standard sized, 20 bantams.)
No special introduction--I just put them in there. All 52 of them did just fine.

Thanks everyone, it went well. They were actually only 6 days apart, so while there was a noticeable size difference between our biggest and smallest (Brahma and Wyandotte). The Wyandotte was pretty assertive immediately.

everyone is getting along fabulously.

my guess is the Wyandotte will be the top boss, as her breed supposedly is near the top for the breeds we have

If no mama hen is involved, I would think they could intermingle, and sooner would be better than later, at one week with a heat source I would think you are ok. I am interested to hear how this goes.

No mama hen, all the girls are doing great!

Did you notice the other chicks pecking the Wyandotte's feet? We just brought home 2 day old chicks (2 of them), and when we introduced them to our 1 week old chicks (4 of them) they went CRAZY pecking at their feet! like to the point where they are picking up their feet with their beaks! We put in a seperator so they can see eachother, but not peck. Any suggestions? They also went CRAZY over them. like all 4 rushing at them.

Back
Top Bottom