Putting together a new flock with several breeds - input needed

Natty Bumppo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Southern Illinois
WOW, it's been a while since I posted, not since I finished my coop just about and started my Buckeye flock..........

I'm down to three Buckeye hens (they are now three years old) and I want to build up a new flock. I'm looking at getting 6 breeds with 5 straight run chicks of each, then culling the roosters for meat. Then I should end up with 15 or so hens to keep.

The breeds I'm looking at are Black Andalusian, Dominique, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Golden Campine, Golden Lackenvelder, and Buff Rock.

They will be free ranged in my Illinois farm yard, and will be locked in the coop at night.

Any comments/input on the mix? I know that some like the campines are on the flighty side, and some of thes are more gentle but that's fine. I was thinking the hens would set their pecking order accordingly.

I do want to keep a rooster and wanted input on a breed (other than silkie) less likely to be agressive with humans. Our buckeye roo ended up as coq au vin. I loved hearing him in the AM but he turned mean.

I'm planning on ordering from Stromberg's.

Thanks!

I have found that generally flighty-ish chickens tend to be curious and just entertaining to watch. I have a very flighty black sex-link hen who will absolutely not be petted, caught, or otherwise touched by humans, but she is the first one running over to me for treats. If you plan to free-range, a couple more flighty chickens can be useful as they will spot danger first and warn the flock, plus most light breeds (I've also found that light breeds are often more flighty) are generally better foragers.
My Buff Brahma rooster is great; not aggressive whatsoever to humans but he will attack a dog in an instant
lol.png
Of course, I wouldn't expect all Buff Brahma to be the same. Standard Cochins are known to be friendly. I don't know if you're wanting bantams or not, but my friendliest rooster is definitely my Serama. I would never trust him to free-range, though, as he is not at all protective of his hens or aware of the fact that bantam rooster-eating predators exist
tongue.png

As I just posted in another thread, the GLW is my first choice in eggs production, personality, and temperment. Mine are just steady and dependable. My BSL is the same as fleabitten said. Same things. But she does lay the prettiest eggs. But I still like the GLW's.

Back
Top Bottom