Pvc cutter to cull a rooster

When it comes time for me to do this, I plan to use a good pair of limb loppers so that I can get enough leverage. Or do you have to keep hold of the bird's head so that it stays outside the cone? I can imagine it might thrash a lot, but I also read that if they're upside down in the cone, they're pretty calm...? Not sure if I should rethink my idea. Suggestions?
Some keep pulling their head back up

If anyone is worried about hand-strength or aim, machetes are surprisingly cheap (I've gotten 2 from TSC for $8 and $10), wickedly sharp and easy to maintain. Put your kill cone where it has a backstop, like attached to a tree or post, and just whack. It's pretty well impossible to miss, go too slow, or screw up. I tore a tendon in the thumb of my right hand last year, and now write like a toddler holding a fat crayon, it's that bad, but I can still cull a bird with a cone and machete.

I don’t understand. The pvc cutters we have would be terrible for culling. Very cinch & score, cinch & score, if you know what I mean. I hope we’re talking about two different tools.
Yes different kind... not the ratcheting kind you have.
Screenshot_20210414-055331.png

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-3-4-1-5-8-in-PVC-Cutter/50120053

LOL, you guys are creative.. I've only used the ratcheting too but then I only use it for pvc, I give the neck a decent pull and with a sharp knife the head comes of with little effort, but then I identify as an alpha male too..:D

May I just say that I am definitely NOT an alpha male.
The first time I processed a bunch of young roo was prior to Youtube videos. I studied a chicken book from the library. My oldest kid "borrowed" a city traffic cone and I hung it, upside down, from the laundry pole crosspiece. I tried to stuff the poor bird in and he sort of got stuck and I hadn't thought about maybe that the hole in the end of the cone was too small... Anyway, I pulled him out, cut off some cone, stuffed him back in. Still didn't fit. Pulled him back out...took about 4 tries to get the cone cut to where the bird's head stuck out but his shoulders stayed in. I positioned my blood bucket underneath, on the ground. I pulled his head down and cut across, quickly with a sharp kitchen knife. Got blood all over the place. We all kind of freaked out and backed up. Then one of the dogs grabbed the rooster head and they all took off. Definitely not a solemn, thank you for your life kind of ending for that poor bird but the deed was done.
I sincerely hope no one is planning to use the ratcheting or electric cutters...

Back
Top Bottom