pvc feeder for young chicks

suzeqf

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
does anyone use a pvc feeder in their brooder and if so how big is the pvc you use. I have a piece of 3 inch that i would like to use but wasn't sure if it was big enough. my little one are wasting so much feed and i found one of my rumpless chicks inside the feeder and they are constantly turning it over and i've tried to secure it and they get on top of it an poo in it and if i hang it my banty chicks have a hard time reaching it i even made "steps" to it and once i did my bantys would get on the feeder and it would move and freak them out and spill so the feeder is back on bricks just to keep the shavings to a min

Sure the pvc feeder will work.

I used a plastic chick feeder from TSC that seemed to work fine and it is similar to your pvc feeder idea.

chickfeeder.jpg

We used one of the little round red feeder bases that u normally use with the jar. We took a piece of 3 inch pvc and it slips right over the base. Put a couple screws in it to hold the base on it. We cut the pvc long enough to stick out the top of the brooder and now can fill it from the outside as well. it has worked wonders and I never worry they will run out of feed. They dont seem to get in it and scratch around cause of the small holes in it. I just put a small (maybe 1/2" piece of scrap board and put under it to keep it off the shavings so it stays clean.

Quote:
do you have a picture

i've tried the pie pan on bricks too and somehow they still manage to turn it over when it gets down to about 1/2 full i have a very adventuresome rumpless that loves to get on top of the feeder and then i swear they play king/queen of the feeder and i had a smaller trough type and a few kept getting stuck in it.

Quote:
i'll have to try this with my bigger 7 week olds what size pvc did you use

I used 3 inch PVC with a Y then filled the bottom of the Y with sand so the feed sits on top of the sand and moves right up to the opening, I have not lost any feed this way, even though they eat like a bunch of piggies!

A smaller version works great in the brooder, 2 inch PVC works the best and all of our 16 had no issue finding their way to the feeders when we changed them out at week 2.

Quote:
i'll have to try it they went thru a whole bag last week but i 11 yo did spill a full feeder on the floor and i bet they could eat for a week on what they've spilled

Back
Top Bottom