pvc pipe feeder and paint

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eastercreek, Nov 1, 2011.

1. eastercreek

eastercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    We are planning on adding some type of pvc pipe feeder to our coop...but I would like to paint the white plastic green to match the design with some type of plastic=friendly paint. Has anyone painted pvc before and if so, how did the paint hold up to little chicken beaks??

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Latex house paint works well and will make white PVC last years longer(protects from UV).As for holding op to chic pecking on I do not know...cva34

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You might want to run a little rough sandpaper over the pvc so the paint has something to grip to. What I would not do is paint the part that is going to be the feed tray. I have a 5" dia pvc feeder and never actually seem them peck it but doesn't mean they haven't.

4. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    There is spray paint designed specifically for plastic. We use it for the hose bibs we made on our sprinkler system, and trunk protectors for our trees. The bibs are pvc and the protectors are abs. Worked great on both. they have a really nice emerald green color. Might be hard to match paint colors though. They have been painted for three years now and still look very good. Neve have tried latex house paint, for some reason I always assumed it would not work. Great tip there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by