PVC pipe feeder

Quote:
Looking at the link it seems a bit complicated... (side note - if you right-click an image it'll show the url for that image specifically, then you can link it in another post... but i WOULD make reference where it was found to be safe)

my idea just got updated a bit LOL

use 4" with a cleanout plug/adapter at the top, 4"-2" reducer at the bottom, 2" ball valve, 90* elbow, 45* street elbow (going up), 45* (regular) going back to horizontal, then whatever length of pipe you want, holes cut for birds to drink from, and a cleanout plug/adapter at the end (easier to clean when necessary).

it'd be interesting to see if there's some sort of quick disconnect available so you could unhook the bird-accessible section for cleaning and leave the reservoir stationary... added to the shopping list for the next time we head to lowes or depot.

Quote:
Looking at the link it seems a bit complicated... (side note - if you right-click an image it'll show the url for that image specifically, then you can link it in another post... but i WOULD make reference where it was found to be safe)

my idea just got updated a bit LOL

use 4" with a cleanout plug/adapter at the top, 4"-2" reducer at the bottom, 2" ball valve, 90* elbow, 45* street elbow (going up), 45* (regular) going back to horizontal, then whatever length of pipe you want, holes cut for birds to drink from, and a cleanout plug/adapter at the end (easier to clean when necessary).

it'd be interesting to see if there's some sort of quick disconnect available so you could unhook the bird-accessible section for cleaning and leave the reservoir stationary... added to the shopping list for the next time we head to lowes or depot.

Don't forget to post pictures!!
thumbsup.gif

I also made this and it was a real waste of money. Unless I stand there and bang it to have the feed drop, it doesn't fill up. I was very unhappy with the function of this and wasted about $25. The feed clogs up and does not redistribute throughout the bottom. One pic I saw, the feed was to the top of the 2 feeders. The only way that happens in real life is if someone filled it with extra feed before the picture.

Rather stupidly I just browsed pictures and didn't actually read comments and suggestions, lesson learned! We've constructed a feeder with about a 1 metre vertical length outside, with a hole cut in at the bottom to a 90 degree elbow to a 60cm horizontal with 3 holes cut out. Unfortunately the feed does not flow out as well as we'd hoped. Has anyone had success with a 45 degree or 60 degree elbow rather than a 90 which makes the horizontal part on an angle?

EDIT - on closer inspection the chooks seem to have managed to eat a fair amount out, so it is a successful feeder from that point of view, and there is no wastage and looking at the level of the feed it must've pushed down ok.The jury is still out on the effectiveness! :)

Last edited:
Go to 180 degree farms on fb and scroll down. You may have to like the page. I may retrofit mine to this and see if I can salvage my previous attempt.

Last edited:
I have a lot of hens so I needed more than just a couple holes in my feeder. I like the PVC pipe idea so I used cheap thin wall drain pipe and made it real long so it would feed many hens from both sides. The key was getting it at a steep enough slant so the feed slid down and didn't stick in the pipe, but did not all slide down so fast it went to the bottom.
What slides down when the tube is empty does not slide down when there are a few fines left in the tube that bunch up, so I had to raise it a little steeper. That meant that much of the pipe was too high off the ground for the hens to reach in to eat. So I put the block in there on the ground and now they can get to the top holes.

It was very simple, just cut the pipe, put a 45 degree fitting in between and wired the top section to the fence of their covered run. It works great so I took the old round can feeder out which they just spilled a lot out of. They spill non out of this because the tube is 4" diameter so it is deep and my cut outs don't go down to half way on each side.
I have been working on finding an inexpensive reducer fitting to put on the top so it is easier to fill and that has a weather tight plug or seal I can affix to it also so rain doesn't get blown in or excess moisture from the air condense in the top.

I must have missed it - but what sort of tool do I need to cut holes in the pipe for the chickens to eat out of?

I just used an electric saber saw but you can use a hack saw or a hole saw or a hot knife.

So my hubby made two of these for our chicken coop. I was hoping for less waste of food but went out this morning and my chickens have almost completely emptied one. Any ideas on how to fix this? Maybe higher off the ground? Thanks in advance
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom