PVC pipe run question

RachelVT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Hi all:) I would like to build a movable run for my hens and thought the idea of PVC was cool but I'm not sure how to do it. Anyone have pictures to show me? And my other question is, what is the advantage of PVC pipe, weight, durability, easy to build? Or is using wood the same?

If I was to build a movable run would my hens dig under and escape? Say if they were in it most of the day.

Thanks for your help
smile.png
tongue.png
I seem to be a little slow with this sort of stuff
he.gif

I've built two tractors for daytime use already. One (shown on my BYC page) was made from an old trampoline frame. Here's my new one:

32217_010.jpg

It's an A frame, made of wood, with a hinged hardware cloth apron on the perimiter to deter dig outs as well as dig ins.

I've just ordered the materials to build yet another tractor because I need to segregate hens with their chicks. My new tractor will be made from these metal hoops:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_coldframes_hightunnels;pg104155.html

I'll be wrapping it with hardware cloth, putting on baseboards (probably the recycled plastic lumber this time), and putting down a hardware cloth apron as with my other models.

The only hesitation I'd have with using the PVC pipe is weight and strength. You want your tractor to be heavy enough so that it doesn't blow over in the wind or get knocked over if a dog manages to get into your yard. On the other hand, you want it to be light enough so that you can move it without getting a hernia.

My No. 2 model, the A frame, is a good weight when I take the willow roll fencing (put there for shade) off. With the fencing left on, I'm straining myself.

My engineer hubby built this coop/PVC run for me and I love it. We move the coop weekly and the 10x4x6 foot run is light enough that I can move it to either end of the coop. Please see my BYC page for more details and if you want a more detailed outline of how hubby did the run, please PM me and I'll see if he can write something up.

33445_dust_bath_time.jpg

I have a... poorly constructed PVC pipe run. It's being down-graded to a tractor for my chickens.
I love the idea of a PVC pipe run- but it is much easier for a raccoon to break into one then a nice big run.
Here's mine though! It's the only picture I have of it, and the coop was still under construction (it still is!).

55040_250.jpg

as soon as we finish our pvc run I will share pictures!! WE are using 1 1/2 " PVC may put sand into some of the bottom pieces...to give it weight....or maybe some concrete...or small rocks...not sure yet...
making an apron around the entire thing! going up about 3 foot with metal lath then we are using 2" by 3 or 4" wire..can't remember the size off hand.. then wire and netting across the top..

size we are planning on is 8foot by 16 foot...may make it a little larger!

Back
Top Bottom