PVC pipe run

Evernf

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
I am building my run with PVC pipe making a frame and puting wire around it anyone else doing that am using 3/4 pipe it is only 5 by 10 for mabey 3 or 4 chicken what say

I was going to. Got to home depot and found that stuff don't like to bend. I was planing on a 4x8. I was using half inch and it wouldn't bend. I'd say AT LEAST have it 6' wide. I saw some pipe that came in 3/4 that bent but it was $5 for each. Also, make sure you have all the connectors you need. Do you know if you're covering it with tarp/shadecloth/plastic? How are you going to weigh it down. I was thinking of a wood base so that it is more predator proof and strong winds won't carry it away.

Why does it have to bend make it sq yes I plan to have a trap on one end for shade it is heavy dont think the wind will blow it away I plan on puting it on my lawn and moving it around so dont want to hold it down where are you from

30605_100_2623.jpg

We used the plastic corrugated roofing over the PVC. As you can see, it is linear so we didn't need to worry about bending. The only part that was slightly difficult was getting the connectors to work. But other than that, this is light enough to move around.

This run is mainly used for when it rains and we can't free-range. It allows them time outside while keeping them dry.

I think we paid between $10-15 per sheet and used two sheets.

That run is 10' long and 4'wide. The roofing sheets are 2' wide and 10'long
so it worked out perfectly.

The hoop-style ones are stronger, more resistant to breakage/squash-age from wind, snow, predator climbing on top. The box-style rectangular ones are weak because there is zero diagonal bracing so all its strength against diagonal forces rests on the structural integrity of the itty bitty amount of plastic where the connector overlaps the pipe. I'm not saying you can't make the rectangular style ones, just recognize it's more vulnerable.

Also, be aware that normal PVC is not very UV-resistant and will weaken to the point of shattering easily within a year or two. There is some other kind you can get, I do not remember what it needs to be called, that is more durable. But *any* PVC run is going to be shorter-lived than the equivalent made out of metal or wood, and if it's supposed to keep out predators as well as keep chickens inside, you need to be careful as it ages, you don't want a *dog* to be the one who finds out that it's gotten real weak.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

That looks pretty slick! I do wonder if a coon could push under. I would think something like croquet wickets to hold it down.
also, maybe 2" chicken wire on the bottom for security. I would think the chickens could still scratch. Good idea.

BTW, you can take a page from the people who make pvc tractors for raising broiler chickens (note that these are usually surrounded in another predatorproof fence, as they aren't super big-time predatorproof) and pour water or sand into the PVC framing to give it extra weight. Won't stop a raccoon from tipping it up but it discourages it from blowing away in a strong wind
smile.png

Pat

Think I lost my last Mag. how do you fasin the sheets on are thos dots screws I was thinking about using plasic ties

My husband used large washers and screws directly into the PVC.

It is fairly light, and certainly not predator proof, however we lock our chickens up at night, and we live in the suburbs so not much to worry about here.

But it does the job for what we use it for.

We are currently getting ready to move it over to the smaller coop for our new Bantams.

I am sure there are lots of ways to construct this type of run though, and if I had to do it over again I would probably build out of wood. But then again, we wouldn't be able to move it very easily
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom