PVC pipe waterer question - connect direct to hose?

tara3436

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
I bought some supplies to make a PVC pipe waterer using the little nipples that release a drop of water when pecked. My idea is just a length of PVC with the nipples (I only have 2 hens), with one end of the PVC positioned through a hole in the coop. My garden hose is nearby and could be connected for a constant closed stream system of water for the hens.

Initially I assumed I could connect the garden hose direct to the PVC with the right connector.

I was researching this forum for design/mounting tips for such a waterer and I notice that most do not have the PVC connected just direct to the hose. I saw an ingenius one that utilized a toilet bowl filler, and through some googling found some contracption that is called a flow reducer too. Can I not connect directly? Maybe a pressue issue?

Hmmm... help me out here I just don't get it.

Tara

Pressure issue with the nipples or cups, I think. I have seen several on here that DO connect directly, I think, but I personally use a bucket with a spigot, and gravity to fill my cups. I only have to fill the bucket about once a week for my 6 girls, and that's good enough for me.

I had 2" pvc pipe with 4 vertical nipples and one end capped, the other capped with a quick connect hose fitting inserted and sealed. The other end of the hose went to a spigot on a 55 gal plastic barrel, which was mainly for filling when I have to go away for a week or so.
I had to empty it and go to a bucket with horizontal nipples because it froze last month, but if you're in a warm climate or use a heater and make a pvc loop to circulate the water, maybe it will work for you.
BTW, I've found the spring loaded horizontal nipl.ples to leak less than the verticals. I've heard they are also more resistant to freezing, as the metal pins don't stick out as far.

Last edited:
I was researching this forum for design/mounting tips for such a waterer and I notice that most do not have the PVC connected just direct to the hose. I saw an ingenius one that utilized a toilet bowl filler, and through some googling found some contracption that is called a flow reducer too. Can I not connect directly? Maybe a pressue issue?

Hmmm... help me out here I just don't get it.

This issue with just connecting a hose is pressure. The purpose of the valve shutoff is to keep the pressure at bay. The valve only lets in water when it needs to, the rest of the time, the pressure is held back. Time is more important to me than money at the moment, so I just bought a Chicken Fountain. Absolutely love it. But if you don't mind manually filling it, you could go without the value and just top it off once a day, or once a week, or however often you need to for your flock.

Hose pressure will overwhelm them. I've even had problems with a barrel with that was elevated to high.
You need a pressure regulator or just a container at a bit of elevation over the nipples.

I saw one in a magazine that hooked to the hose. They have a website countrysidemag.com check them out. I think you may even be able to find an article on how to do it yourself with a parts list. It was an old issue at a friends house where I first learned of them.

Thanks for explaining this everyone! I opted to modify my plans slightly and use a toilet fill valve, which was $7 vs. $60 for a low PSI pressure regulator. I will post a photo tutorial once it is done and tested, but basically I have the 5 gallon bucket with two holes drilled in the bottom. I connect the garden hose to the toilet fill valve (inside the bucket), and a separate hose comes out of the bucket and connects to the PVC pipe run along the coop. The valve shuts off the hose from filling the bucket (and so stops the pressure entirely) once its filled to the level you set. So then the bucket gravity feeds. I also decided to use chicken waterer cups to nipples, as they sounded less messy and easier to keep an eye on for function problems.

Thanks for explaining this everyone! I opted to modify my plans slightly and use a toilet fill valve, which was $7 vs. $60 for a low PSI pressure regulator. I will post a photo tutorial once it is done and tested, but basically I have the 5 gallon bucket with two holes drilled in the bottom. I connect the garden hose to the toilet fill valve (inside the bucket), and a separate hose comes out of the bucket and connects to the PVC pipe run along the coop. The valve shuts off the hose from filling the bucket (and so stops the pressure entirely) once its filled to the level you set. So then the bucket gravity feeds. I also decided to use chicken waterer cups to nipples, as they sounded less messy and easier to keep an eye on for function problems.

Why not use a water closet from an old toilet, keeping the fill and shut off valve, and putting a fitting in place of the flapper valve to carry the water to your chickens. You will have a perpetual source of clean fresh water, at least as long as you pay the water bill. A small livestock water heater should prevent it from freezing up and bursting the water tank and some way must be found to recirculate the water from the nipples back to the tank to prevent bursting the supply pipes during cold snaps.

The water pressure is totally dependent on the height of the water column in the water closet or bucket you chose in relation to the water cups or nipples. The higher the tank the greater the pressure on the water column.

Last edited:
That's a good idea, but I have already started on the bucket version. Will update when complete!

Back
Top Bottom