PVC roofing?

Caity

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Central, NC
I'm interested in a clear PVC corrugated roof for both our hen house and run, and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with it. We live in North Carolina so the summers get pretty hot, but our backyard is almost completely wooded so even with a clear roof the chickens would get very little direct sun except in winter--which I figured would help keep them warm. PVC is also available in white, and we would also be willing to consider a metal roof. We're not so interested in the polycarbonate roof because it is so expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts? There's very little info about it available online. Thanks!

I built a coop over the weekend and saw the clear PVC corrugated panels at Home depot and decided to try one. I used the clear panel for the center and tin on both sides, I overlapped the clear panel with the tin and secured them with needle point bonded washer screws.
We had a heavy rain Tuesday night with gusty wind and everything did fine, no leaks or breaks.

I used 5 metal and two clear on my run. I hope to replace the clear this summer. I think I will re-use them as a wind break on the bottom of the north run wall. We have a huge blue spruce that drops needles on it. So it looks terrible and the needles block the sun anyway. Since my girls free range all day they really don't need a clear roof. If your girls will be enclosed during the day I can see how letting in light would be nice. Just keep in mind that if you have over hanging trees it will look a mess and need cleaning to actually let the light/warmth in.

Forgot to add, we ended up covering the clear area with a tarp during the hottest parts of the summer. The run was baking under the clear part of the roof. So no sun got in during the winter and too much during the summer.

I live southwest of you in the metro Atlanta area and I used a tin roof on my run, mainly for the shade in the summers. If you keep a eye out for used tin on Craig's list it could save you a good bit over what it would cost new. My run is over 400+ square feet and that much new tin would have been a little more that I was willing to spend.

Buffs Only

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. We do have a lot of tree coverage, so the clear probably would get really messy--I hadn't thought of that. It probably makes sense for me to go with the tin. What kind of screws do you use with tin? I was going to get the 1 3/4 hex head screws with the rubber washers for the plastic roof--will that work on tin?

I know that it has been a couple years since the PVC roofing comment was posted, but we are having a very bad experience with PALRUF PVC Iron Wave White Opaque purchased from Home Depot. A month ago, we installed a lightweight canopy over the girls so they can go outside when it snows, but alas! When the acorns began falling, they left a dozen quarter-sized holes in the brittle roof material. This stuff should NOT be used as roofing material!!!

I reported the poor performance to Sidney Cowen, the PALRUF Customer Service Representative. He was undaunted, reporting that Palruf PCV is NOT warranteed against breakage -- to prove his point he sent me a copy of their warrantee. In summary: "The panels are warranted for 5 years to:-- Weatherability: Will maintain good surface condition. Will not corrode or rot or be affected by dampness. (Normal pigmentation change expected). -- Structural Reliability: Will remain structurally rigid.-- Safety: Will remain non-conductive and non-flammable. Those of us who raise chickens are quite familiar with Sidney's brand of CS!

Be Warned!!

Back
Top Bottom