Pygmy Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by yoker, Feb 8, 2009.

1. yoker

yoker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    I would like to see pictures of these goats.
    Also would like info on them.

2. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is my Nigerian Pygmy wether, Gimli. He is about a year old. I just love him but he is very shy. My veterinarian told me that Pygmy's are not as friendly a breed as other goats but I'm sure that is all up to the individual goat/breeding/care situation. Gimli was chased a lot in his early days before I got him so he's still quite shy and doesn't like to be touched.

He's the highest jumping little goat that I have! Amazing. If he wants out he will get out! Thankfully he likes it here and is content to stay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

This is Bandit, he acts more like a dog than a goat. Sleeping in front of the door, running to meet the car (he can let himself out of the pen). I've never seen him jump a fence. Even a three foot one. Wethers make great pets. Never pet goats on the head and they will not get 'butty'. That has been our experience.
    [​IMG]

This is Bambi. Yeah, I know it's a bad 'angle' but, I just had to get a picture of her perched 4 feet off the ground on a 10 inch wide shelf.
    We had just brought her home and set her up when she jumped the stall and then the fence! We locked her in with a couple of quarantined chickens until we could got her a roofed enclosure finished. She's a real Houdini!
    I'm sure she will settle down soon, but since she is bred we want to keep her and our weather separated unless supervised.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Chic,

I love that picture of her with the chickens.

Hope she is setling in now, at least you know she is adaptable.

They are all gorgeous.

Jena.

5. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Thanks, Jenn.
    She is happier, I think, but quite determined to free range! [​IMG]

6. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Here are my pygs. My first 3, big mama and her 2 babies, aren't the friendliest but they will eat Teddy Grahams from my hand. However, two of them had kids last year and I got my hands on those kids from birth and they are almost too friendly.

Here are three of them and me.

[​IMG]

7. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG]

8. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Here is some of mine taking a nap
    [​IMG]

9. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw! Everyone has the cutest goats! I like that photo of Bandit peeking out from his paddock.[​IMG]

10. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Angelina Angelica
    [​IMG]

Little Miss Elegant (Ellie)
    [​IMG]

One of our big boys DareDevil (Deli)
    [​IMG]

day old baby from last years kids, Holly Barry
    [​IMG]

I was trying to get a pic of Temperance the little caramel in the back, but Dolce thought she needed hers taken!
    [​IMG]

I love my pygmies, they are spoiled rotten and act more like dogs than goats. When I am down in the pen I have everyone up at my feet trying to get in my lap or begging to be petted. I raised dairy goats for 5 years before I got into the pygmies, I sold out of my dairy girls and havent looked back since, I have been doing pygmies for about 8 years. All of my pygmies are registered and I show them throught CA. They make awesome pets and even the little neutered males can compete in shows. They are great for the 4-H kids. As far as breeding goes the purebred pygmies can have issues birthing because of their small size and compact bodies, the mixed pygmies seem to do much better for kidding. But they are easy to care for and just a joy to own even my big bucks just want love and attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by