Pygmy Kid Diarrhea

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
We took in a pygmy doe 8 weeks ago on a rescue type basis, and after determining her healthy, released her with our other two does.

Imagine my surprise to go out to the barn and find her with 2 adorable kids yesterday morning.

The kids seem healthy, they're up and moving around, eating well, etc., but the smallest kid, a doe, is having diarrhea issues. I've googled it and see that it is called scours, but I really have no experience dealing with things like this. I knew she was fat, but had no idea she was pregnant.

I see some websites say to watch it and see if it passes, while others say to pull the kid and feed electrolyte formula until the scours have subsided.

I really don't want to lose this little baby, and I'm just looking for advice, I guess. Anyone out there with more experience than me who could give me some ideas, it'd be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Blessings-
Em

scours is usually Cocidia. You need to worm her. Slippery elm root powder would stop the diahrea if you have it. The sooner you help her the better. Fir Meadow LLC sells a good herbal wormer. I would not pull the kid, the best thing for her is her mom's milk.

Give her Pepto Bismol at the same rate you'd give a human, and forget about "herbal" cures for anything if you want her to survive.

She needs to be nursing as long as possible, so unless you plan on milking the goat, do NOT start giving her anything from a bottle

scours is usually Cocidia. You need to worm her. Slippery elm root powder would stop the diahrea if you have it. The sooner you help her the better. Fir Meadow LLC sells a good herbal wormer. I would not pull the kid, the best thing for her is her mom's milk.

The kid is a newborn. Coccidia needs three weeks, minimum, to complete its lifecycle. So scours in a newborn kid are almost exclusively bacterial. And worming doesn't treat coccidia. Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoan, not a parasitic worm. Treating for worming won't kill coccidia, and likewise, treating for coccidia doesn't kill worms.

It was determined on backyard herds just had the normal colostrum poops that newborns often get.

GI soother is an herbal wormer that also works for Coccidia. Normal wormers wouldn't work, but herbal wormers would.

Quote:
Pepto Bismal will mess up the Ph of her rumen. It could kill her.
You can fix Ph later
She will die of dehydration if you don't stop the scours ASAP

Quote:
Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth Subsalicylate, Bismusal) is commonly used to treat livestock with diarrhea.

Pepto Bismol contains bismuth which coats, soothes, and relieves the irritated lining of the stomach.

Kaopectate (Kaolin-Pectin) can be used to treat non-infectious causes of diarrhea. Drugs which decrease gut motility (e.g. Immodium AD) should not be used. Oral yogurt or probiotics are often given to restore a more normal gut flora.

Back
Top Bottom