pygora goats?

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
Does any one have any experience with them? I am wondering as to how much milk and mohair they give and their temperament. We have 4 acres and these seem to be a good match. If any one has any advice on them that would be great!

The Pygora Breeders Association was established in 1987. The PBA has it's own breed registry which requires all animals to meet the Pygora goat breed standards and it also includes a fleece grading of each animal before it can be permanently registered.

You can find out more about the Pygora Breeders Association at: www.pba-pygora.com

Pygora goats are a specialty goat with multiple uses. Pygora goats are growing in popularity for their unique fiber and friendly disposition. Pygora goats are great for the small farm. They are great with kids, produce wonderful hand spinning fiber, and are wonderful brush eaters. They are fun loving and always curious.

They originate from the crossing of a registered NPGA (National Pygmy Goat Association) Pygmy goat and a registered AAGBA (American Angora Goat Breeders Association) White Angora goat. The Angora goat brings in the white mohair fiber and the Pygmy brings in the color and Cashmere type fiber. An interesting thing to note is that all colors seen on the Pygora goats are derived from the Pygmy goat!

Pygora goats are easy keepers, easy kidders, and easy to handle because of their smaller size. Pygora does can weigh from 65 - 75 lbs. Pygora Buck's and Wethers from 75-95 lbs. They can produce up to a quart of milk a day and make great sociable and lovable pets as well as produce downy-soft fiber too!

Pygora goats are easy keepers and don’t require any special feed besides grass hay when fresh grass is no longer available. We also offer all of our livestock free-choice mineral salt (with Selenium if you live in the Pacific Northwest). It's always wise to check with your local county extension office to find out about any deficiencies that might be in your area. Of course, you can still spoil them with a little grain!

Our Pygora goats are "grain-trained". If we need to gather them up, a shake of a plastic pop bottle filled with grain will have the goats following us anywhere. If you are going to feed your Pygora goats grain, we recommend grain without molasses in it as this can cause problems in your wethers and bucks. We will "flush" our Pygora does with grain before breeding season and again right before kidding season begins as the Pygora does may need this extra energy at these times. We might also grain our does if it is a long, cold winter...from http://www.hmrpygoras.com/HMRWhatsaPygoraweb.html
My friend has about 30 pygoras, they are very sweet, and the fiber is lovely.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting very small goats for our yard next year (just one for milking) but the other one I was thinking about Pygora. I read their milk is so-so? I want tasty milk for both drinking and cheese (soap too) but the added addition of hair really appeals to me even if I don't spin.

Hopefully more information about them will become availible as I felt I didn't get enough just browsing the website.

If you want good milk from a small goat, go Nigirian Dwarf. Pygora milk apparently isn't very good(very goaty) though I've never tried it, and they don't give much. Whereas Nigi's have been bred for milk.

Kinder Goats are also small and good milkers
smile.png

I don't think you would be satisfied with a pygora as a milking goat. A pygora comes from a pygmy/angora cross. One is a meat goat the other a fiber goat.
I agree with Frizzle's suggestion of getting a nigerian.

Pygmys are very hard to milk. The teats are too small. Again, pygmy's are meat goats.
Nigerians are a smaller goat and can be milked. I never had a kinder goat, but that would be another one to check into.

Quote:
That's to bad. A lady near me sells pygmys. How do you tell nigerians and pygmys apart? Would I be better off buying a larger dairy goat and a angora? I was hoping for smaller goats.

Back
Top Bottom