Pyrenees killed three chicks

Jul 13, 2021
Hi-I’m new to chicks and ducks and the whole farming thing, and want to be the best animal mom I can be, so I have been researching and doing everything I’m supposed to be doing…or so I thought. I have 2 Great Pyrenees that have been at the farm for about a month now. I raised 4 chicks and two ducks in my garage and put them out in their “predator” proof chicken run a few days ago for the first time. They spent two nights out there and did fine. I put a bungee cord on the top of the gate (usually use two) 😥 and ran to a neighbors house for 20 mins. I returned to find a massacre. My Pyrenees had pried the gate open and killed 3 of the chickens and badly injured one. The ducks were untouched but shaking. But I am still so sad to have lost my girls…I never realized how attached I would become. My heart is broken and I feel so responsible. I took the the surviving chick to the vet with lacerations and mild bleeding on her back. She couldn’t stand. The vet prescribed pain meds, antibiotic, stitched a hole in her lung and said she was badly bruised but didn’t see anything broken…we just wait and watch. The next day she seems to be eating well and trying to stand but still can’t. My question is: when would be an appropriate time to put her with the ducks? They were all raised together and the chicks were bonded with the ducks…she seems so sad, or maybe it’s still the pain and shock of it all, but I don’t want to reunite them if it isn’t safe or good for the chick. Any thoughts?

Hi-I’m new to chicks and ducks and the whole farming thing, and want to be the best animal mom I can be, so I have been researching and doing everything I’m supposed to be doing…or so I thought. I have 2 Great Pyrenees that have been at the farm for about a month now. I raised 4 chicks and two ducks in my garage and put them out in their “predator” proof chicken run a few days ago for the first time. They spent two nights out there and did fine. I put a bungee cord on the top of the gate (usually use two) 😥 and ran to a neighbors house for 20 mins. I returned to find a massacre. My Pyrenees had pried the gate open and killed 3 of the chickens and badly injured one. The ducks were untouched but shaking. But I am still so sad to have lost my girls…I never realized how attached I would become. My heart is broken and I feel so responsible. I took the the surviving chick to the vet with lacerations and mild bleeding on her back. She couldn’t stand. The vet prescribed pain meds, antibiotic, stitched a hole in her lung and said she was badly bruised but didn’t see anything broken…we just wait and watch. The next day she seems to be eating well and trying to stand but still can’t. My question is: when would be an appropriate time to put her with the ducks? They were all raised together and the chicks were bonded with the ducks…she seems so sad, or maybe it’s still the pain and shock of it all, but I don’t want to reunite them if it isn’t safe or good for the chick. Any thoughts?

Chickens are known to recover from pretty harsh things. Do you have any pictures on hand?

Welcome to BYC, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had the same thing happen, it's always sad but you're not to blame, things like this happen all the time.

I've seen a chicken (definitely not my chicken) get torn up by a predator and have exposed bones and body cavity (her owners did nothing for her), she healed up and is still living and enjoying life like nothing ever happened.

Your little one made it this far and will hopefully recover quickly, I would see about wrapping her up really good and bringing a friend to her until she's healed up enough to go with the rest.

I have lgds too but they weren't raised with poultry, they live with chickens now though.
One of the pups is 4 months old and pretty much ignores them, but the 1 1/2 year old seemed way too interested, so I am pretty sure he instigated the whole thing. I just don’t know if I should get more chicks at this point or give up…I guess I’m not very good at a loss of life, which makes me probably not the best person to be trying to have a small farm with animals ☹️

One of the pups is 4 months old and pretty much ignores them, but the 1 1/2 year old seemed way too interested, so I am pretty sure he instigated the whole thing. I just don’t know if I should get more chicks at this point or give up…I guess I’m not very good at a loss of life, which makes me probably not the best person to be trying to have a small farm with animals ☹️
Yeah, owning chickens involves a lot of death unfortunately. Reproductive disorders are common in chickens and can't be prevented. There are numerous other diseases that just happens even if their coop is predator proof...

Its always sad, its never easy when a chicken dies...

I really hate to admit it but my own Aussie (not an LGD) has killed probably close to a dozen birds. I've been close to giving up as well, especially when my beautiful speckled Sussex girl sweety was mangled to the point of no return. But I kept at it and now my chickens dust bathe right next to Rose, and I honestly think they like her. There will be down days, but there will also be really wonderful days that make you want to quit your day job 😂

Back
Top Bottom