Pyxis inspired me and I'm attempting Emu eggs!

Pics
Nah I am a very patient person but it is exciting!
Good for you that's awesome! I'm so anxious for my eggs to hatch! I have a few questions that i would love for them to be answered! So near my hatch date should i increase humidity and lower temperature what stuff should i have prepared for it when it hatches? I'm going to keep it inside for a couple of weeks until i decide to put it outside! Should i start it on ratite starter feed?

I leave my temp and humidity the same and I had 100% hatch rate. They hatch differently than a duck or chicken. They slowly break a hole bigger and bigger until they can fit thru it. They don’t unzipper so the membrane doesn’t need to be super moist and soft. After mine hatch, I feed a chick starter meant for chickens and then at about three weeks I slowly start mixing in ratite pellets until its all pellets and no crumble. Usually do that over a span of a week or so. Also, lots of little greens like baby peas and chopped up spinach or kale.

I leave my temp and humidity the same and I had 100% hatch rate. They hatch differently than a duck or chicken. They slowly break a hole bigger and bigger until they can fit thru it. They don’t unzipper so the membrane doesn’t need to be super moist and soft. After mine hatch, I feed a chick starter meant for chickens and then at about three weeks I slowly start mixing in ratite pellets until its all pellets and no crumble. Usually do that over a span of a week or so. Also, lots of little greens like baby peas and chopped up spinach or kale.
Ok awesome! I already have chicken starter feed! Another crucial question i would love to have answered is, What do i do when its born my incubator is to small to have it just be there when its hatched....Should i move it to a cage? Should i use a heat lamp? What temperature should it be?

I take mine out and put them in with a heatlamp but you need to be careful cause they can’t walk for several days and can’t get out from under if they get too warm. I kept mine comfortable and would adjust if I heard them cry. I honestly had mine in a baby bag that hung from my shoulders and kept them with me for a couple days, lol.

We are now almost 3 years later from when we hatched our first emu. One was a little lady we named Vanessa. Well miss Vanessa has started laying!! She paired up with our young blonde male, Chad. We started her second egg in the incubator yesterday and will keep adding as they are laid. Hopefully they are fertilized. I’ll post updates as I can!
33714E1F-4E1F-422A-98E9-1D2CAF219D85.jpeg

We are now almost 3 years later from when we hatched our first emu. One was a little lady we named Vanessa. Well miss Vanessa has started laying!! She paired up with our young blonde male, Chad. We started her second egg in the incubator yesterday and will keep adding as they are laid. Hopefully they are fertilized. I’ll post updates as I can!View attachment 2456457
Thanks for continuing the story!

Back
Top Bottom