Q.) Do chickens appreciate being picked up by humans???

I have two of 6 that will hop up onto our laps, or backs the minute the see a chance. Audrey, my Buff Orp will pace the run until I come in and pick her up and hang out with her for a while. Olivia, another BO is the same.
My other BO, my BA, PR and BC do not like to be touched. Holding them is done on a as needed basis. I am not going to make them uncomfortable just to please myself. The only one that physically stays out of reach is my Cochin. She is getting a bit better though since my daughter and I spend a lot of time in the run with them

I'm so jealous! Mine do not like to be handled at all. I have 5 Easter Eggers, but I purchased them at 4 weeks old from someone who hatched them and kept them in a large stall. They were not around people often. Just 100 of them running around in this stall. I think maybe next time I may try some day-old chicks so I can get some used to handling. These 5 are my first, however, so I'm trying to make sure that I know what I'm doing, lol.

Quote:
Don't give up on them. If they're still young and if you have the time to spend with them you can bring them around. Again, treats and quiet gentle interaction. Sit with a bowl of treats on your lap next to them. Sooner or later one of them is gonna feel like the treats are coming too slow and will jump up in your lap to help themselves. Take a finger and pet the chest, not the back.

Quote:
While early handling might have helped, many easter eggers are standoffish anyway.

I have four, and they are much more reserved and touch-averse than their hatchmates of other breeds. They were raised here from day-olds, and had the identical upbringing as the others.

They aren't fearful, nor are they shy about taking treats from hand -- but they don't wanna snuggle.

some of my 11 girls will tolerate being picked up others wont. I even have one smaller prod black that jumps on my arm like a parrot when i bring them their scratch at the end of the day. I told her your not a parrot sweetie you'll have to wait for your scratch
smile.png
)

Farmer Mack
cool.png
big_smile.png
16 hens, 2 cats, 5 goats, 1 puppy, and the wife hasnt left me yet LOL

Some chickens have no boundaries what so ever
look on my head in my current avatar
big_smile.png

Her name is (bloodhead) BH

She likes to be picked up

Many of my chickens do

Many of my chickens dont

Depends on the chicken

heya thanks guys

ive been spending few after noons with my 2 chickens...

the older one which is very shy and nervous is slightly starting to trust me...but at a very very slow rate.

the other young hen thats 6 months old raised by humans...is really quickly warming up real rapidly...

as soon as it sees me at a glimpse or even when it seems my car drive in...it runs to the fence...

it still needs a bit more work due to petting it...but i have noticed...it is more at ease petting when its busy pecking food...but when it stands there not feeding...and when i reach out...it tends to still be a bit nervous about it.

but i think in time...it will be real tame

That's neat! Glad at least one is coming around. Our chicks always do a steep downgrade in chumminess when they go from the brooder-in-the-house stage to living out in their part of the coop. Guess they're no longer as desperate to get out of that box (by jumping on our hands)! Also, we tend to spend less time with them out there than in the house, as it's not as handy.

This is a good reminder for me to keep up the chick friendship. Wonder if they do email........

Mine used to all love being picked up when they were in the brooder....than when I put them outside it was like they hated me! Except one...my EE will jump up on me every chance she gets and want a petting. THe others will tolerate me but not like they used to
sad.png
I still spend the same amount of time with them that I did when they were in the house I just don't know why they decided to act all shy. I can pick anyone of them up if they are in the hen house but have a hard time catching them outside
lau.gif
Now if I sit on the ground they all come around me...or if they hear me talk up by the garage they all come running up there so that's nice
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom