Q.) Do chickens appreciate being picked up by humans???

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi

im new to the forum so bare with me if i as silly questions.

i have 2 hens, one is 6 months old from a breeder which is more sociable/tame than the original hen i have which is 1yr +...
the older hen is very shy and will run away when i walk into the coop or see my presence. (it must of had a hard life prior or been abused in the past. this one decided to fly in my backyard, so hence i kept it and became its owner)
so i dont bother trying to train that one, since sometimes its hard to teach an old dog new tricks as they say.

once in a while i have the urge of giving the younger one a pat. unlike a dog or a cat, when u reach out to pat it, it walks away.
but i can corner this one and grab it...it will flap its wings and *Squark* like crazy... while being held it will try to flap its wings and break free. when i rest it down...it is back to normal again. and hangs around me close by.

can anyone share some light on this?...does it just need to warm up to me? and for me to do this more often for it to trust me?

im guessing people here have chicksn as pets and tame them?

we have two chickens that come running up to us every time we come in to the pen but as soon as you reach out to them they go flying. when we do pick them up they dont care and squak though.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
You have found a great place to ask the silly questions that we all need to ask from time to time!

My chickens are about 10 weeks old. They are fairly tame, having been spoiled rotten since I brought them through the front door. They get nearly daily treats and my daughter and I make a point of touching each of them every day. When we have time we will pick them up and pet them.

I'm not sure they really like it, but they are getting more patient about it. I know they like us (actually, they like the treats we take them) because they run to the fence when they hear the back door open or close. They are friendly birds and like you say, they like to be around us. I think with time they will either enjoy or simply resign themselves to being picked up from time to time. I really like holding them.

I'm glad your older hen found you! Now she can live out her life with someone who will give her a safe and pleasant life!

Hi -

I have 15 total... 9 are about 5 weeks old and the rest are about 15 weeks old. Honestly, I've lost track of their ages... it's been a busy couple of weeks with hurricanes.

Of all, I only have one little 5 wk'r who actually comes up to me and lets me pick her up and pet/hold her. Her name is Lovie or Love Muffin because she is very sweet and lovable.

All of my others bird will stand at my feet and a few more of the small ones will let me rub their wishbones while on the ground, but the majority duck or run if I try to even pet one.

Do not be discouraged... Chickens are nervous creatures by nature. One day you will find one that will want you be it's very own Lazy Boy Recliner!

All my chickens free range. With some days staying in the pen to throw the hawks off.
But when they see me they all come a running. Then hens are the sweetest. When I sit down to rest awhile to watch them. The girls will hop on my lap for a while. The roos get a little upset and surround me when their girls decide I am the lead roo. HEE HEE!

I started early on bringing our chickens treats every day. They especially like grapes and watermelon rinds, frozen corn (freezer burned stuff is great!). Now when they see me coming with my plastic bag of grapes, tomato trimmings, etc. those drumsticks can't pump fast enough! I have a tatty old lawn chair I sit in and always have a couple girls fly up to my lap and try and dig in the bag for grapes. They can get really pushy, so I back them off if they do. I have to hold the grapes for the banties cause they will choke on a whole grape, but the "big girls" grab and run.

I also try and pick them up and let them go when they stop struggling. That seems to teach them to be calm and then they can go. Now I can pet most of them. I also make it a point to stay very calm and serene. I think they pick up your vibes and soon start to know you mean them no harm. After all, they are prey animals and all they have for protection is to run away.

Good luck with your girls!

We got our 6 hens 2 weeks ago and they were free range, now in a coop. The run like heck from us, but if I catch one, theyare very calm. Even the chicks we have that are 2 weeks old sqwack when I reach for them, but then they fall asleep on my shoulder.

* I sort of had an advantage since Chook was pretty sick when she showed up and not up to serious resistance of any kind. Now though, she occasionally gets obstinate, flapping or trying to climb out of my hands or up my arm. I just put her down half a second, letting her fold her wings again and then I pick her up again and tuck her to my side in a light football hold. She'd rather ride my shoulder (or my head), sure, but I don't want her falling, and I'm not too keen on toenail scrapes on myself either.
wink.png

Mine have all been hand raised and love to be held. It can be a bit disconcerting though to walk out the front door and be faced with 15 spoiled rotten chickens wanting to be held at the same time. The really spoiled one though is Blue Rooster, he dances up to me then tries to leap up into my arms. We have a ritual where I squeeze him, kiss his head and say "Ohhhhhhh I wuv my Blue Rooster!" then I can put him down and he's happy. If he doesn't get his squeeze he will follow me until he does, trying to jump into my arms. It all depends on how you raise them.
Blue Rooster hugs:
P4191082.jpg

Must be a blue thang, huh? My Blue Ameraucana hen is a complete pest, wanting to be held and carried around. Her daughter is the same way and will tug on your pants (or skin if you're wearing shorts..ouch!) to be picked up. Rotten kids we have, Kate!

Back
Top Bottom