Q for Red Star/Red Comet owners, harsh winters

LynneP

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Centre Rawdon, Nova Scotia, Canada
I was at the co-op today and will pick up chicks May 16. They will phone me the day before to let me know what is coming to the store and when to arrive to get them.

These are innoculated birds and one of the varieties will be Red Star/Red Comet. We have harsh winters, though the coop is insulated and we can hang heat lamps over the roosts. Do any of you in similar climates have these birds- what is your general impression of them?

I ask because there may be other varieties in the order, but I know for sure I can get these. Thanks!
cool.png

They are Red Sex Links. Each hatchery has their own proprietary name for RSL's. You can read about sex links here:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

I think they would be OK in your climate... but Black Sex Links are considered more cold tolerant since they weigh 1-2 lbs more than a RSL hen. When I was in Scotland last, I was amazed that everyone there had 'Black Rocks' by the dozens (their name for BSL's). They're considered cold tolerant and will continue to lay through the winter better.

I'm in the mountains of NH and have a few. No problems with winter. I don't heat the coops either. A friend of mine has a bunch of them and again no heated coop. No problems. Once they are fully feathered it's mostly getting them out of the wind and wet.

Thank you both, I've checked the link and doing a little on-line research, not much under that particular sex-link hen. I have to assume that the reason they're providing so many is because of local satisfaction, and the only person locally who can tell me is away this week. We're diligently planning for biosecurity and for a covered run, we're waiting for a day soon when we can dig and pour concrete supports.

Sounding good, and if anyone else has experience with them I'd love to hear!

cool.png

I have a few, how harsh is harsh? It only hovers around freezing here and in the 30-50's for about 8 months of the year... but rather mild due to proximity of the ocean. They all choose to sleep on outdoor roosts year round with the exception of a few nights in the teens. They are pretty tough to me.

Well we get a lot of snow, and we're coming out of a particularly long winter. I guess it would compare with coastal BC, about half way from Vancouver to the Alaska border. We have 4 distinct seasons. I'm encouraged to see the Rhode Island Red parentage in the Red Comets, RIR's are a much-loved breed in Nova Scotia.

Back
Top Bottom