q re: roosting bars, sleep and laying eggs in the corner

It means I agree with you
thumbsup.gif

Proof these little stinkers will roost anywhere they want. That's less than an inch round metal pole on a hay rack. Sigh and they wobble off it all the time. But once there alseep they do well to stay on it

Proof these little stinkers will roost anywhere they want. That's less than an inch round metal pole on a hay rack. Sigh and they wobble off it all the time. But once there alseep they do well to stay on it
You are right.... But this picture tells me you need more roosts..... Cute picture by the way....
big_smile.png

Chickens naturally seek out the highest spot to roost... If that high spot is half inch diameter bars for a horse hay rack then they will roost on it. But they can develop foot sores from it. For best practices in Chicken keeping its a good idea to have a flat wide spot so they can relax their feet to sleep.... and when it gets cold they will also be able to comfortably hunker down and cover their toes with their feathers.... Keeping frost bite at bay. They will also be able to easily walk along the perch or turn around without struggling.

So for the OPs original question.... Young birds often times take a while to figure out how to perch.... Once they get the hang of it they will abandon the spot on the floor. Especially if you make that spot less than desireable. Haveing a perch in front of the nests will help.... and this is where you put the uncomfortable perch.... You dont want the chickens wanting to roost there.

You do not want the chickens to sleep in the nests so the nests should be below the level of any of the perches. Some people even block the nest boxes off at bed time.

deb

You are right....  But this picture tells me you need more roosts.....  Cute picture by the way.... :D

Chickens naturally seek out the highest spot to roost...  If that high spot is half inch diameter bars for a horse hay rack then they will roost on it.   But they can develop foot sores from it.   For best practices in Chicken keeping its a good idea to have a flat wide spot so they can relax their feet to sleep....  and when it gets cold they will also be able to comfortably hunker down and cover their toes with their feathers.... Keeping frost bite at bay.  They will also be able to easily walk along the perch or turn around without struggling. 

So for the OPs original question....  Young birds often times take a while to figure out how to perch....  Once they get the hang of it they will abandon the spot on the floor.  Especially if you make that spot less than desireable.  Haveing a perch in front of the nests will help.... and this is where you put the uncomfortable perch....  You dont want the chickens wanting to roost there.

You do not want the chickens to sleep in the nests so the nests should be below the level of any of the perches.  Some people even block the nest boxes off at bed time. 

deb

I actualu have 4 roosts in ther total. And the actual roosts are like an inch to two inches thick. But they'll do what they need to. Maybe I'll Vaseline the pole lol thtalk keep em off it and be good for frost bite

Thanks for the replies. I do think I need a wider roost or at least a 3 rd option for them, I really don't want them on the floor. Plus the coop is on the small side. I will put in a bigger pole today. I was also rearranging the inside layout--the roosting bars previously were on the side of the coop that does not have the door. It probably feels more private there. So I am going to switch the nesting boxes with the roosts, so the nesting boxes will be where they were originally laying the eggs. The roosting bars will now be closest to the door. I hope that helps!

Ok last night I updated their roosting bars, one is a 2x4 (with corners well sanded) and the other a much fatter pole (greater than 1"), and STILL the americauna that the boys call Dark Wolf wouldn't roost. I even picked her up and put her on the bar last night, but when I went out she was on the floor again. She is a funny bird. She is the smartest of all 5 of them, she seemed to be their leader, so I'm confused!!

Ok last night I updated their roosting bars, one is a 2x4 (with corners well sanded) and the other a much fatter pole (greater than 1"), and STILL the americauna that the boys call Dark Wolf wouldn't roost. I even picked her up and put her on the bar last night, but when I went out she was on the floor again. She is a funny bird. She is the smartest of all 5 of them, she seemed to be their leader, so I'm confused!!

it takes time... she will roost eventually. Just make sure she cant sleep in the nest boxes.

deb

perchie girl, you were right. Thanks for suggesting I just be patient--she's been on the bars now the last 2 nights. AND the layers are now using the nexting boxes. So all is well in our world! Yay :)

Unless you have very small birds using a 1" bar for them to roost on is way too small, not to mention uncomfortable and hurtful to them. If you have standard-to-large breeds I would highly recommend using a 2" x 4" laying flat so the poor things have something to literally "sit" on during the night. I mean, have you ever really looked at the size of those feet??
gig.gif
Your birds will not only be more comfortable but during the colder winter months they will literally lay on their feet to keep warm. Here's my setup:

Using a roost "bar" that small most likely is contributing to the fact that your girls are sleeping on the floor.
Do you just have sand under or do you add the DE to the sand. TIA

Back
Top Bottom