Q? - starting to Molt now - in January?? Is this normal

CluckinghamPal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
San Jose, Ca via New Zealand ;-)
let me start by saying this winter in Nor California is anything but - averaging 70 degrees every day - we did not really have a fall either and have been getting no rain.

Noticed over the weekend our Speckled Sussex has suddenly gone all bald under her beak - and a little bald around the vent. Her feathers in other parts also seem a little loose. In all other respects she is happy and healthy and laying - although she did take a break of a couple weeks. She is also in her first year - about 36 weeks old.

Checked her all over no sign of lice or mites etc - other chickens are not pecking at her

I imagine the warmth has something to do with it, however, I do not know if they respond to temperature or day length on this issue. The horses hair up or shed according to day length. Maybe someone more experienced than I has the answer.

You have been averaging 70 degrees this winter? Man, we have been exceptionally cold, especially a couple of weeks ago when we were in the low 20's at night, 40's to maybe 50's during the day. We HOPE to reach 70 tomorrow, We are only about 200-250 miles farther north than you. Send some of that warmth our way, will you? No rain to speak of here, either.

I have a hen that's sad looking.I noticed some feather loss around her vent area in early November.Her coop mates were already going through their molt.Its as though she started a molt and than stopped she was still laying on a regular basis.I dusted her for mites.she stopped laying last month.than she seemed very tired.than two weeks ago she started dropping feathers.her vent area is completely bald.She is a barred rock.I had a red star sex link that molted last January.Maybe its age or bred.

I have a hen that's sad looking.I noticed some feather loss around her vent area in early November.Her coop mates were already going through their molt.Its as though she started a molt and than stopped she was still laying on a regular basis.I dusted her for mites.she stopped laying last month.than she seemed very tired.than two weeks ago she started dropping feathers.her vent area is completely bald.She is a barred rock.I had a red star sex link that molted last January.Maybe its age or bred.
forgot to add I live in Va.we had anally cold days last week.And having lots of rainy days.

Age and the lenght of day are the main reasons that they begin to molt. Stress and lack of food are a couple of more that can trigger molt. Usually first year chickens don't molt and not heavily if they do, When the days are short the more the more likely they are to molt. My Buff Rocks that hatched the first week of March did molt mid fall. Some times they just molt with just a little prompting. If she is healthy other wise don't worry to much.

Back
Top Bottom