Q's - fertility rate, roo aggression, when to collect eggs from hens for incubation, etc.

Technically you could hold the roosters in the coop, and let the hens out to free range. But the boys will naturally want to be with the girls, and they will get wise to you, and it will become more and more difficult to do so. It may lead to aggressive behavior towards you. I think they will crow incessantly while you have them separated during the day.

I think those coops/runs are pretty darn small, especially if you end up with more than a few females.

If you want to breed pure bred birds, you will have to range the 2 flocks separately on alternating days...or you will end up with cross breed chicks.

What will you do with the extra males?
I plan to find them a good home, unless someone else had a different idea. I don't have the funding or space to put an extra in a seperate area.

I plan to find them a good home, unless someone else had a different idea. I don't have the funding or space to put an extra in a seperate area.
Might be good to just do one breed and save that second space for extra birds or either gender....and think about making those spaces larger.
I hope to sell chicks eventually.
Is there a good market for chicks in your area.

Back
Top Bottom