quack sexing?

Those are drakes... The raspy sound. I have 3 drakes, 2 Rouen & 1 Golden Cascade. They dont even all three sound the same but close. The quack is more of a definite sound with my hens. Very Pretty ducks, ~Julie~

Thank you. They are my babies.
smile.png

I have Khakis and Magpies. The females are definitely more vocal that the drakes. And the differences in quacks are very distinct. Even when they are foraging they (hens) all make a constant chattering sound, and the males do not. I commented about this to my husband the other day and he just looked at me....but he didn't comment. I didn't explore THAT conversation any further. He = man of few words. Me = not so!
lol.png

Quote:
That is a very clear example of drake vocalizations. That was not quacking, sorry! If anyone wants to know what a boy sounds like, they can listen to your video. The only reason you are confused is that you don't have a girl to compare them to. I've gotten to the point I can tell the difference at four weeks when the girls are happy and they start to talk about their food. Can't always tell who's doing it though! By five - six weeks, it's easy. I pick them up and the girls will quack and the boys won't. I might call a girl a boy, if she's behind or quiet, but if she quacks, she's a girl. You do have to be familiar with both adult sounds though.
smile.png

On sexing ducklings Pekins you can sex at hatching, the females have a lighter dull orange feet and beak, the males have a bright colored orange. the females alos quack more and louder. The males usually get a curly tail at about 2-3 months. I have been 99% on beak color of sexing. I have raised Pekins for over 20 yrs. Rouen Males usually have a ring around his neck, lighter colored that rest of body, which turns white after growing into maturity.

Back
Top Bottom