Quack! YES/NO

Should KingB Get Ducks?

• YES!

• NO!

• neutral (please don't click this)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I never would have gotten ducks because I heard bad things about them, but a small flock was left behind by the previous owners. I love them. They are generally healthier, better foragers, more personality, better layers than chickens. The main downside for me is I don’t like duck eggs.

That is an important thing to think about too. Duck eggs are different than chicken eggs in both flavor and texture. My hubs will not eat a fried duck egg.

What about boiled? That ok?
I had a wild duck in my garden once and it layed an egg!! I ate it and I was actually pleasantly surprised as to how nice it tasted.
My husband likes them boiled and pickled. I really only like them in baked goods or scrambled. I think it’s just personal taste because plenty of people prefer them. I have neighbors that beg for them

All these comments are pushing me to really like ducks!
This thread is really just some way of persuading my parents to allow me to get them. Haha
OK, so if it's your parents you're trying to persuade, than you need to do heavy duty research. Diseases, deficiencies, first aid, behavior, mess, noise. Try to find out why they wouldn't let you keep ducks, what their concerns would be and address them.
I would get apple yards, harlequins or maybe Campbell.
Here's some good reading.
https://www.weedemandreap.com/best-duck-breeds-beginners/

If your answer isn't, "My entire family and I really want ducks," your answer is, "my entire family and I shouldn't get ducks." In my opinion.

I adore my ducks. They are also terribly messy. A HUGE commitment. 100 times more work and financial requirement than I anticipated, even though I researched for months. Everything wants to eat them, so be prepared to stand outside in the weather for hours supervising them.

Unless they imprint on you (probably not going to happen) most ducks act like ducks, not pets.

Back
Top Bottom