Quackers in my back yard

BackYardQuacker

Hatching
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Hello all-
So happy to find this 'fowl' bunch!

So the short story is: I need some help and advice on keeping my mama ducks (and the future ducklings) safe and happy.

The long story is: I have never had ducks in my backyard. I saw a post on Craig's list for Ancona duck pairs for sale and thought: COOL! So I bought two pair of these lovely heritage black and white ducks...thinking I could gather two eggs a day.

Well.....after 2 weeks of happily gathering eggs daily, they stopped laying eggs. (Or so I thought) After about a week, I found the new nest with 15 eggs in it, and one female sitting on the nest.

Well now BOTH females are sitting together- side by side- on this nest with no telling how many eggs in it because every time I get near they puff up and hiss! (I don't want to stress them out, and I sure don't want to get pecked/bitten)

They have 'feathered' the nest and I'm hoping for ducklings....but I have no idea what to do to help. Do I need to keep the babies away from the male ducks? Do they need to swim in a homemade shallow pond? They are in my backyard in the city, and they have built their nest in my very small greenhouse.

Yikes! I am so excited, but clueless at the same time.... :)

Thank you for any help you can offer,
Peace to you all!

WelcometoBYC.gif
. Yes separate from your drake. Also no I would not allow ducklings to swim until 2 weeks

Thank you Kevin565!

Someone told me to separate the ducklings from the drakes, then someone else I spoke to said not to. Very confusing for a 'new egg' like me.

I will go with your advice and separate them....also will not let them swim for two weeks. I knew I could count on you all at BYC!
(Oh I am so excited.....)

Peace to all y'all,
Susan

Back
Top Bottom