Quail - 3rd Brood in One season

Chiquk

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2020
Hi all, I’ve been keeping quails for last 2 yrs for their eggs. This year I wanted my kids to experience raising some quails from chicks. I only had females left from my old flock. So I ended up buying 12 one day olds of various colours. I put all the Italians in the outside cage (2ftx5ft)1M & 3F. One of the females decided to site on the eggs and used her beak to tuck the eggs under her. I knew this was a good sign. Funny thing was another went in the flowerpot nest behind her and was sort of doing the same, but taking it from her clutch. They both been laying eggs there so she wasn’t really stealing the eggs. I may of had two broody hens, but I decided to separate the enclosure into half and leave just one of the hens to brood the eggs. Two other females and a Male could just be too much disruption for her. She even accepted two eggs from another batch I put afront of her (15 eggs) most hatched and some died due to getting squashed I think. I put some in the indoor brooder whilst the others hatched. Then re introduced a few days later. It was amazing watching how the chicks tucked amongst Her feathers, knowing too well they won’t all fit in there within a week. My broody hen flew over the other side once chicks were 2.5-3wks. Then started mating again and as soon as there was enough eggs (I collected other eggs and put in one nestbox ) she started brooding again. I took out the remaining Male chick and moved the nest box into the female chick area hoping to expose it brooding. By the time the second lot started to hatch the female chicks was already mature and broody hen was being protective, after a few fights I moved the 1st lot of chicks to separate unit. And the 2nd lot chicks in indoor brooder and the Un-hatched Eggs in the incubator. Surprisingly some hatched 4-5days after the natural hatching(18day) this could be due to the large batch size that she couldn’t sit on them all. Well 2wks later she is sitting on her 3rd brood. Smaller batch this time (6-8) half eggs from another hen. I bought this broody baby in May 2020 at 1 day old. Since then she has just started sitting on her 3rd brood 22nd Sep 2020.

Hi all, I’ve been keeping quails for last 2 yrs for their eggs. This year I wanted my kids to experience raising some quails from chicks. I only had females left from my old flock. So I ended up buying 12 one day olds of various colours. I put all the Italians in the outside cage (2ftx5ft)1M & 3F. One of the females decided to site on the eggs and used her beak to tuck the eggs under her. I knew this was a good sign. Funny thing was another went in the flowerpot nest behind her and was sort of doing the same, but taking it from her clutch. They both been laying eggs there so she wasn’t really stealing the eggs. I may of had two broody hens, but I decided to separate the enclosure into half and leave just one of the hens to brood the eggs. Two other females and a Male could just be too much disruption for her. She even accepted two eggs from another batch I put afront of her (15 eggs) most hatched and some died due to getting squashed I think. I put some in the indoor brooder whilst the others hatched. Then re introduced a few days later. It was amazing watching how the chicks tucked amongst Her feathers, knowing too well they won’t all fit in there within a week. My broody hen flew over the other side once chicks were 2.5-3wks. Then started mating again and as soon as there was enough eggs (I collected other eggs and put in one nestbox ) she started brooding again. I took out the remaining Male chick and moved the nest box into the female chick area hoping to expose it brooding. By the time the second lot started to hatch the female chicks was already mature and broody hen was being protective, after a few fights I moved the 1st lot of chicks to separate unit. And the 2nd lot chicks in indoor brooder and the Un-hatched Eggs in the incubator. Surprisingly some hatched 4-5days after the natural hatching(18day) this could be due to the large batch size that she couldn’t sit on them all. Well 2wks later she is sitting on her 3rd brood. Smaller batch this time (6-8) half eggs from another hen. I bought this broody baby in May 2020 at 1 day old. Since then she has just started sitting on her 3rd brood 22nd Sep 2020.
Can you post some pictures of your setup please.

I took to many videos, this was only pic and I cleared up things out the way so I could take the videos. What I had was a potted mint plant on the left and the leaves of my squash plant on the right also another branch on top of the nest (large) flower pot) the hen displayed eggs in wooden nest boxes, but they didn’t have a front panel and was too exposed. The flower pot was on the other side and of enclosure.

Attachments

• 5108FF20-2EF0-4EE5-9BBE-2E45ED2A397B.jpeg
    5108FF20-2EF0-4EE5-9BBE-2E45ED2A397B.jpeg
    653.9 KB · Views: 21
I took to many videos, this was only pic and I cleared up things out the way so I could take the videos. What I had was a potted mint plant on the left and the leaves of my squash plant on the right also another branch on top of the nest (large) flower pot) the hen displayed eggs in wooden nest boxes, but they didn’t have a front panel and was too exposed. The flower pot was on the other side and of enclosure.
Sorry for incorrect spelling. Should read “The hen did lay eggs in wooden nest boxes “

My friend has a king quail that goes broody like anytime she lays! I think she’s probably just got broody genes 😂 lol

My friend has a king quail that goes broody like anytime she lays! I think she’s probably just got broody genes 😂 lol

I love the Asian blue king quail. Would love to keep them but I have limited space and also I’m starting on a project to create Celadon quails. Think it’s cross breeding a mix of birds I already have Tibet tux. Waiting to cross Scarlet with white to get scarlet tux then mix them together and see how it goes. I also paired a golden with white and see if I get a golden tux. All others breeds will just go on the dinner plate.

What kind of quail do you have?? How many eggs is she actually sitting on each time? My coturnix quail could sit on like 3 eggs max I think. Even my silkies, who I use to hatch the quail eggs, can only sit on about 6. Also I didn't think quail were usually very broody?

I'm excited to read about your experience. We have a quail born roughly around March of this year and she's acting broody. I'm new to quails so I'm not sure if my environment is not suitable for her to stay sitting or if she's got the instinct but lacks the follow through.

I notice you've got deep litter method. Is your pen indoors? We are in the middle of building an indoor 10' x 4' run. Half is vermicompost I've been slowly establishing the past month. I added in a portion of the hard packed earth (and various worms and microorganisms) from under our outdoor compost spot. I've been slowly adding shredded paper into the pen currently housing the quail so they aren't surprised /do anything strange with all the paper on that one side when we transfer them. I was hoping to do the entire floor with the packed earth to help keep the dust down (we have a separate area as a shower stall with sand). My challenge is figuring out how to mimic the outdoor soil conditions so it doesn't turn into dry dirt. Your set up looks like nice moisture levels are maintained and you can use it for growing plants. That's my goal as well - keep growing some hiding places (squash leaves ?) they don't eat, and let the seeds they don't like (wheatgrass) sprout into the greens they do like to eat.

I would love to help this girl hatch out some eggs if she's got the ability to do so. Maybe she should stay in the old pen by herself when I move the others?

I would love to hear more about your experiences!

I'm excited to read about your experience. We have a quail born roughly around March of this year and she's acting broody. I'm new to quails so I'm not sure if my environment is not suitable for her to stay sitting or if she's got the instinct but lacks the follow through.

I notice you've got deep litter method. Is your pen indoors? We are in the middle of building an indoor 10' x 4' run. Half is vermicompost I've been slowly establishing the past month. I added in a portion of the hard packed earth (and various worms and microorganisms) from under our outdoor compost spot. I've been slowly adding shredded paper into the pen currently housing the quail so they aren't surprised /do anything strange with all the paper on that one side when we transfer them. I was hoping to do the entire floor with the packed earth to help keep the dust down (we have a separate area as a shower stall with sand). My challenge is figuring out how to mimic the outdoor soil conditions so it doesn't turn into dry dirt. Your set up looks like nice moisture levels are maintained and you can use it for growing plants. That's my goal as well - keep growing some hiding places (squash leaves ?) they don't eat, and let the seeds they don't like (wheatgrass) sprout into the greens they do like to eat.

I would love to help this girl hatch out some eggs if she's got the ability to do so. Maybe she should stay in the old pen by herself when I move the others?

I would love to hear more about your experiences!
My pen was built around a Small tree in the middle, with some branches inside. I originally made it all pretty, with half laid lawn and even had a wet area lined with clay and liner so there was always water. The other half was filled with shingles and sand. And holes where I could put in potted plants 😇 OTT. It didn’t last long as I had 9 quail and they soon made a mess every where. It just topsoil now and sand on the other side. I add straw and a plastic sheet a front of it to shield it from the wind over winter. I’m from the UK and temp at night is already low as 9 deg C. T the hen is still sitting on them. I don’t know if she will continue for the full duration. I already have a lot of quails now so I will let nature take its course and not take any chicks into the indoor brooder when it hatches. As she only has 8 eggs this time instead of 15 like the previous 2 broods. Best bet to get your hen broody is to have a 1M to 3F. And plenty of space a few hidden/ discreet nesting. They will lay anywhere but my cluster was started to form later in the flowerpot with plants covering the entrance. The Male will constantly disturb her if there isn’t other females he can call upon. All the hens seem to sit in the nest time to time but the real sign is if you see the hens beak bringIng the eggs afront of her and tuck it under her. As well as some actual nest building, moving the straws around her improving the nest. As all my nest I had already filled with straw it dry hay. If the other birds keep disturbing her and making her leave the nest then I would isolate her by taking the rest away. She would be unsettled at first but will eventually start brooding. So leave water and food just for her. With her 2nd brood i even moved the hen whilst sitting on the eggs in the nestbox. So she knew they where the same eggs. I moved her with her In with the first lot of chicks (3-4wk old) so that they can she her brooding. I took out all the males and only left the hens. They did disturb her a little even going into the same nestbox but it didn’t effect her. Could be that she had broody experience now or no males trying to mate her. I had this problem with my caged set up, where the Male would always try to mate when ever the hen got in the nestbox. Even crushing a few eggs. When the 2nd broods hatch there were a few fights with the 1st brood chicks now at 6-7wks and protective mother. So I separated them. Good luck with your hens. Someone asked squash leaves. I put a potted squash veg plant there only because it was a spare from my allotment, can use any plants.
Tip for natural chick food. I had dug up 3 whole ants nest and kept it in buckets because my kids have been watching too much Ant Canada. Well they make great chick food, just take a spade full couple time a day. The hen eats the queen ants and the chicks eats the normal ants (UK ants are harmlessly) Good why for them to learn to scavenge for food. Also blackfly infested leaves off my runner bean plant. I also already had a meal worm farm set up in the spring so plenty of Fresh mealworms available. I also collected lots of woodlice from Short, stacks of decking I places i my compost bin.

Back
Top Bottom