Quail and BSFL compatibility

Duck Drover

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Washington
Has anyone successfully raised BSFL (black soldier fly larvae) on quail poop? I want to start raising both this year and it would be awesome if we can feed the quail poop to the BSFL to eliminate waste and grow the BSFL together somehow. I have been reading that quail poop is high in amonia but since the BSF is a "privy fly" it might work out.

I found some info online that indicates that it could work. People say they have BSFL in the manure below their cages, on the ground I assume. What I am thinking about doing is having the droppings fall right into a bin of BSFL if it would work.

We keep our rabbits on the ground and then hose the poop pellets into the garden (after the urine has leeched out into the soil) so there is little amonia in the poop when it gets to the garden. I am wondering if quail poop has to sit on the ground and then be scooped into a bin or if it can go directly from the bird to the BSFL without any aging.

Some people say they use quail droppings for gardening but I am thinking that it has to be aged first. We don't compost chicken poop because it needs to age and we can't have "stockpiles" of waste on our property. The shavings from the coops get collected as yard waste but anything that falls from the bird to the ground is used to feed the worms. We have very rich soil for growing.

Back
Top Bottom