Quail and chickens coexistence?

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
I have a quail aviary that is still in building mode/upgrading mode. And I have 10 quail in the brooder that are 2 weeks old today. I plan to have them out at 3-4 weeks of age as the temp is quite warm (we will see how it goes). However we also have chickens and I read somewhere that chickens can spread diseases to quail that are deadly? So even if they don’t coop/ have a run together, the chickens free range around the quails run. Would that be okay? We are new to quail keeping. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2465E80D-4C44-4175-82CD-137D52F727C2.jpeg
    2465E80D-4C44-4175-82CD-137D52F727C2.jpeg
    860.5 KB · Views: 16
We’ve never had a problem (knock on wood) keeping quail & chickens on the same property. I think the big concern is having them in the same coop, but you already know that.

Thats a nice aviary! Is that where your quail will be?
Yep, it’s a tragic story actually we originally bought a coop and run for the chickens from overEZ coops but they couldn’t ship the coop to where we live (even though we were in their shipping range). But then a few weeks ago we hatched out some quail and our original plan was to have the quail live under the coop. But now, they have an aviary. Which currently houses our rooster cause he was overeating our hens pretty badly.

We’ve never had a problem (knock on wood) keeping quail & chickens on the same property. I think the big concern is having them in the same coop, but you already know that.

Thats a nice aviary! Is that where your quail will be?
Also do you know what type of disease could potentially spread...I lost the article I read

I believe the main disease chickens can pass on to quail is coryza (I believe that's how it's spelled). I think that's generally only passed to the quail if they're on the ground level. I think if they're in raised cages they're a lot less likely to get it if they're housed in the same area as chickens. Though I do know some people recommend keeping them separate by like 20-30 ft or something.

Ye
I have chickens and quail housed near to each other without ever having any issue with disease. If that wire is 2" x 2" you'll probably want to cover that with hardware cloth or netting as they will fly through that.
Yeah... I am going to cover the bottom foot of the run with hardware clothe. Hoping to finish by this weekend!!

Ye

Yeah... I am going to cover the bottom foot of the run with hardware clothe. Hoping to finish by this weekend!!
Hate to tell ya, but you'll need to cover all of it, top as well. Netting is much cheaper. Quail can fly straight up 20+ feet in the air. When they get startled they all go up, every which way. I just lost two like that, they flew over my head when I opened the aviary door, and kept going way out into the woods somewhere.:(

Hate to tell ya, but you'll need to cover all of it, top as well. Netting is much cheaper. Quail can fly straight up 20+ feet in the air. When they get startled they all go up, every which way. I just lost two like that, they flew over my head when I opened the aviary door, and kept going way out into the woods somewhere.:(
Okay! Thanks for the tip! Will try to finish by next week then...

Wait could I just cover the bottoms foot with hardware clothe and the top/entire thing with mesh/screen?

Back
Top Bottom