Quail and Chickens

CindyGen

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
Does anyone keep quail in the same coop as chickens but seperated by sections? I have heard some people say that quail can get disease from chickens. Then I have heard people say they keep their quail in the same area with no problems.

I have quail now they live in the garage in a battery cage. I have an outdoor shed that I want to turn into a chicken coup and get a few chickens (six tops and yes I learned about chicken math - quail math worked the same way). My shed has three sections, the chicken section is 12'Lx10'Wx7'H there is a small area attached that's probably 12'x8' that I could section off for my quail. I would like for them to live outside and have more space than the cage the are in now.

What say you?

Yes, quail can catch diseases that your chickens are resistant to, so there is some risk.

As long as they're not in the same pen and your pens are clean, you're probably going to be okay, though. Cleanliness is often the best protection against disease.
Agreed, as I understand it, the main concern is contact with the chickens droppings, but I don’t have chickens, so no first hand experience. I would say do your best, the quality of life improvement is probably worth the risk imo.

Was thinking of adding a hen to my quail house
As in, putting a chicken hen in with your quail? That's not a good idea. Being near each other is one thing, being in the same pen is another. The chicken is likely to injure or kill the quail just due to the size difference. Quail can be mean, but so can chickens.

As in, putting a chicken hen in with your quail? That's not a good idea. Being near each other is one thing, being in the same pen is another. The chicken is likely to injure or kill the quail just due to the size difference. Quail can be mean, but so can chickens.
Yeah, together. Would that still apply with Brahma chicken or other docile chickens?

Yeah, together. Would that still apply with Brahma chicken or other docile chickens?
It's still not a good idea. If a quail decides to get territorial, even the most docile chicken will defend itself, and there goes your quail. If the quail gets between the chicken and food, there goes your quail.

It's possible that it will go well, but it's a risk. Your choice.

General rule is never mix gamebirds and chickens, having them divided like that sounds perfectly fine, maybe use quite a small guage of wire to separate them so droppings cannot accidentally go through into the quails side.

Back
Top Bottom