Quail and chickens...

me and my marans

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
maybe this is a stupid question but will Quail get along with chickens?
As i have been offered 20 quail eggs to hatch if i want them,
Thanks in advance.

The simple answer is no. Maybe you'll find the odd person with the right setup that has them together without illness showing up but not likely. They are very different and quail will require solid pens they can't escape from or you will never catch them again. They do not return home like chickens if they get out and such tiny birds can get out of most things as well as easily flying over any fence. Then there's the fact chickens are likely to attack and kill buttons. Chickens will even kill their own chicks if they aren't in the mood to raise them. Then there is this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361 .

Quail need their own seperate living quarters which is usually made up of pens similar to rabbit hutches or cages. Some do keep small numbers of pet quail on solid bottom cages. I had a trio of coturnix in a 3x6' guinea pig cage in the spare bedroom until I needed it for some chicks and I keep all my buttons in glass tanks in the house. Some also keep a few in large aviaries where they help clean up spilled seed from the other birds and use space that would go to waste. If you are raising lots of them though you'll want cages that are at least majority wire bottomed because these guys are messy and there is a risk of fights and injuries when keeping several mature birds of both genders together.

thanks for the info and the link,
I dont tink il be getting quail any time soon so!!!
sad.png
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom