QuailRaiser

Songster
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Victoria, British Columbia
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 coturnix quail hens and two males, doing evereything right I think (Food and shelter wise), they are 12 weeks old, not seen any eggs aside frome two when I first got them at 7 weeks.... Help please???? anything appreciated
smile.png

What is your lighting like? Your days up north should be approaching 14 hours or so, which is what they need to lay, but you also had a long dark winter, so unless you have been supplementing with artificial light, they would have shut down for the winter. I would supplement with artificial light until the sun stays up long enough to provide 14-15 hours of light. Feed a high protein layer ration for game birds, not chickens, or stay on starter (28-30% protein) and add crushed oyster shell. That should do it.

Good luck.

UGCM

X2 Lighting, heat, and good high protein food gets them laying.

Another thing that effects laying is their environment. Are they stressed? In a high traffic environment? Are they being bothered or scared by things? Birds lay when they are good and ready and if they are not comfortable with doing so, they will hold off for an indefinite period of time. If you think they are stressed where they are located, either stop things from bothering them, you can add hidey places to their area, cut branches from trees to add security and comfort or if you have to, move them to a new area. This can also stop the laying for a while, moving, however if it is ultimately a better place they will start laying soon after.

Good luck!

My quail are 26% protien, and we have 14 hrs of light, maybeye the oyster shell would help, but htey are in a bretty quiet area, in the old dog run, althought the dog is still here, so mabeye that might be a cause, but I have no branches in the cage, so I should do that... Thanks for the ideas and input!

Sounds like they needed the security of protection added. If the dog crate is not moved and left in that same place they may adjust without anything else. You could always provide them with as much cover as possible to make them feel more secure. Laying will continue for you, we hope.

Best of wishes.

2 males probably borther them
Separate them and if u want breed them u can put 1 male back later.....after female start to lay

Back
Top Bottom