Quail at 8 weeks old not laying eggs

Keeping Coturnix 1.1 can work, but the chance of overbreeding is high.
But keeping more hens with a roo, does not guaranty that the favorite hen will not be overbreeded.
I experienced several scenarios.

Try the 1.1, only time can tell.

[...] ...

Or maybe I just have quail with strong personalities?!

Probably. I have several breeding groups, most 1.4. Two roos are real gentlemen, the hens do not plucked at all (eggs are fertile).
In other groups the roos are real rough, the hens are bald on the neck, some also on the back.

These little birds have so many colors of personality.

So the way I understand it, you had 3 roos and 1 hen. You culled 2 roos and have 1:1 now.

I think of the options presented to you, 1:1 was the best choice.

It is true that coturnix get lonely, so leaving the hen without a companion would have been unfortunate. I have had good luck with pairs -- mine tend to bond well and get along, even when they didn't in a larger setting. I just can't build that many little coops and still have entertainment amenities for two birds.

This question my 'Newbie" will show. As I mentioned on another post the cage I built is 2 feet x 4 feet' I have two roosters and eight hens in the cage plus a 2 feet x 12 inch enclosed box. Ten sq, feet combined )I have seen where other folks say not to keep more than one rooster in with a group of hens. The problem as I see it is I don't want to be building a bunch of small boxes or cages just for five quail. I would much rather have layered boxes that each layer would have ten or fifteen quail. How many birds do you folks keep together? How is the fighting of the roosters if there are mutable roosters in a group pen or cage?

This question my 'Newbie" will show. As I mentioned on another post the cage I built is 2 feet x 4 feet' I have two roosters and eight hens in the cage plus a 2 feet x 12 inch enclosed box. Ten sq, feet combined )I have seen where other folks say not to keep more than one rooster in with a group of hens. The problem as I see it is I don't want to be building a bunch of small boxes or cages just for five quail. I would much rather have layered boxes that each layer would have ten or fifteen quail. How many birds do you folks keep together? How is the fighting of the roosters if there are mutable roosters in a group pen or cage?
If you have multiple roosters, expect scalpings and if you don't separate them, one will kill the other.

Back
Top Bottom