quail bedding for first few weeks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fowlman33, Aug 15, 2011.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    I am about to get about a hundred bobs.....what type bedding is best for the brooder?

Feed should be put on paper towels the first few days, correct?

small waterer or put marbles in a larger one ??

thanks for any input !!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Most Folks Use Pine Shavings Or Even Pine Pellet Type Litter. If Less Than A Week Old I Would Cover With A Non Slip Surface To Help Aviod/ Prevent Leg Problems. With Quail I Only Use The "quail Font" Water Fonts, But Many Use A Standard Water Font And Fill With Marbles.

3. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    100 Baby Bobs Huh? Let The Party Begin [​IMG]

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i used a towel in the brooder the first week, then went to..as jj said, pine shavings, works great, just gotta clean it out every few days.

100 bobs eh....sounds fun

5. fowlman33

Dec 16, 2010
    I have 2 pens constructed, both are 10 foot long and 3 foot wide....I am planning on seperating the roos and hens, at what age do I need to start seperating, when I can tell them apart??

I am really looking forward to this....I have been wanting Bobs for a long, long, long time !!!!!

I cant wait for the party to begin

6. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    not sure about sexing bobs myself, i'm sure JJ will chime in here in a little, he's (as i know) the bob man around here lol

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You're Likely Going To Need More Pens... Sex Seperation Isnt Necessary Until Late Winter (before Breeding Season Starts Up)

8. fowlman33

Dec 16, 2010
    more pens to seperate the roos when time comes, or more pens in general ??

I was hoping these pens would suffice until I kill in early spring resucing my count and getn ready to start hatching some fresh ones [​IMG]

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:For my brooders now, I construct with 1/2" wire bottoms (with a removable catch pan underneath if kept on the porch or such in warm months). I was doing the bath towel thing, but found an easier / disposable way. Layer the wire with paper towel, then wax paper, then paper towel, wax paper, paper towel.....etc.... (depends on how long you want to keep them on the paper towel, and how nasty you can stand their floor before they graduate to the wire.) Kinda like the windshield-peel on the NASCAR cars......peel away to a new fresh layer. They feed off of "floor food" that's scattered on the paper towel the first couple of days. By then, they'll have gotten used to the little jar feeder. And yes, the small quart jar chick waterer like JJ mentioned......no marbles needed.

Just curious, why do you want to seperate the males and females? Well they be in colony pens?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  10. fowlman33

Dec 16, 2010
    not really sure why I want to seperate them, just had the idea I guess.....I am new at the Bobwhite game and just kept hearing they can be some might mean birds.

How long do they need to be in the brooder before you can put them on 1/2 inch hardware cloth floors ?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by