Quail Breeder cage made out of a old dresser

I had an old store display case that had a glass front. I came up about four inches of the middle shelf and put in a wire floor. There was enough room to slide those little flat boxes that soft drinks come in which sat on that middle shelf under the wire floor. I put news paper in these boxes which made cleaning very easy. I used the bottom self for storing everything I needed for my quail down there out of the way. I also separated this six foot display case pen in half and but two, three foot long solid doors in the back that swung down for easy feeding, watering and catching birds. It had a light in each side and it made a wonderful brooder. I spend many hours setting on a bucket in my barn watching these little quail play. I did have to clean the glass from time to time though.

I am building a new cage right now. I just found an aquarium stand and some plastic coated wire in my neighbor's garbage can.
hide.gif

Quote:
Plastic coated wire

droolin.gif

I wanted to buy fencing today. What the heck? They only had electric fencing. They must have moved it out to make room for Christmas stuff at TSC...

Oh heck, they didn't even have a SPOT for it. The row that said fencing had nothing but electric fencing with no space for rolls of fencing.

Could have SWORN I'd seen other fencing there before. It may have been Orscheln's though. That's okay. I can get it cheaper at Home Depot anyway. I just don't want to fight the crowds. I do have one roll of fencing stashed away under the quail cage. I'm not sure it's a big enough roll for the Rabbit Castle I'm about to construct...then to have any left over for quail cages.
wink.png
(Ahem. I'll save those serious farmers here a discussion of my plans for Rabbit Castle...building commences tomorrow.)

Here's one I did today. Easy peasy! It took less than 3 hours. I "should" have given it a coat of paint, but I wanted to get it in use. One of my other cages wasn't working out for button quail & got moved down for a Coturnix Roo home (plenty big...)

Started with this. I paid $15 for it today at a local thrift shop.

100_3742.jpg
100_3743.jpg

Took off the glass doors, put in 1/4 inch hardware wire on one side & made doors for the right hand side. The upper door slides down to access the top cage & the lower door slides up to access the top cage. I had everything on hand. They have one DARNED fancy antique handle on the top door. Not sure where it came from but it was in my "stuff" bucket. Until I scavenge up another free handle the bottom door has a bolt w/ a couple of nuts for a handle. Hey, whatever works! I also had to add a couple of boards along the front of the shelves or the buttons would have been able to join the other shelf (was worried about the ones on top getting into the bottom by falling...) Had everything on hand for this. All except for the wire is what I would have considered "scrap" lumber & hardware -- leftover odds and ends that most folks throw away. Total cost: $15 for the cabinet & about $1 for the wire & any odd and ends (screws, etc.)

For size comparison, that's a 30 gallon tank, or thereabouts, on top, not a ten gallon tank.

100_3744.jpg
100_3745.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom