Quail Breeding Concern

wendyweakleyj

Hatching
Feb 15, 2022
I was given a bobwhite pair after I received my state permit. Both are 5 months. They are inside (the home) birds in my 20’ x 20’ aviary. The cock is mating with the hen every hour or so. She continues to scream/coo as if she is in pain. Should I separate them?

Where are you located? It's a little early for them to be breeding! but if inside and with artifical lighting then it's possible. Bobwhites are seasonal layers and 'forcing' them to start laying/breeding early will shorten their longevity.
The male may be a little too aggressive...I'd just keep an eye on them and if the hen starts to get feathers missing on her back and a bloody head, I'd separate them.

Where are you located? It's a little early for them to be breeding! but if inside and with artifical lighting then it's possible. Bobwhites are seasonal layers and 'forcing' them to start laying/breeding early will shorten their longevity.
The male may be a little too aggressive...I'd just keep an eye on them and if the hen starts to get feathers missing on her back and a bloody head, I'd separate them.
Thank you for the feedback. I am in Ohio. They are in a 65-70 degree room under lights 8 hours a day. I will keep an eye on the hen. There are no missing feathers or contusions.

Back
Top Bottom