Quail Breeding

sparky357

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
My Coturnix Quail just started laying. I have been feeding them game bird starter grower. I need to know if I need to feed some kind of breeder or laying ration? Thanks for any info.

If you can find a layer ration for game birds (not chickens), have at it. I have a hard time finding it, but my local feed and seed has game bird starter (30% protein), so at about 6 weeks, I start adding oyster shell to that for the extra calcium layers need. Works fine. You can put it in a separate feeder if you have the space, or you can mix it in the feed at about 1lb oyster shell to 20lbs of feed. It's best if you have it a separate container and let them consume what they want, which isn't that much. You can use a pretty small container. In fact, small is best so they don't dust bathe in it and knock it out of the pen.

You may have to crush it down to finer particles or sift out the bigger pieces. Just put it in a burlap bag and smash it with a hammer or mallet.

UGCM

In addition to oyster shells, dried (bake low in oven) quail egg shells can be a suitable calcium supplement. Or, you can supplement feed with a little BSFL or some other worm high in nutrients. I spent about 15 minutes with a big time quail breeder that said he only feeds his quail a special blend of only 20% protein and focuses on vitamin intake and gets the standard egg laying rate of an egg day and a half.

My coturnix gets 20% protein purina gamebird breeder/layer. They start with the 30% starter, and after 6 weeks in, I switch to the breeder. They work quite well. The 30% gives me eggs inconsistently, and double yolkers often, as well as soft shells. The 20% breeder gives me consistent good eggs with only a single bad egg every few month or so. All seem nice and healthy and plump still.

THe person I bought my starter stock from said to switch them to chicken layer mash at 8 weeks when they start laying.
She fed Purina 28% for her little ones.
I have added boiled egg /with shell, a few worms, sprouted peas (feild) and a few weeds to their diet. I grind most of it in food processor for them.

I set up 3 cages with 1 male in each and each male has 3-5 females. so I have about 14.
I just put 5 males in a seperate cage they were being aggressive.
I Am going to use a spiral breeding program . I found instructions for it on the chicken forum.

Back
Top Bottom