1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail brooder size?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AZ Birds, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    You better have plenty Ventalation.I had mine 100 in 2 car garage and at 2/3 weeks they had to go outside.PuWE...cva34
    They keep mentioning Bob they do require more room or they will peck each other to death.And were not talking about liveing there the rest of thier lives just to butchering size.Cots take less room than Bobs and get bigger way faster...cva34

2. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    i may put them out at 2 weeks but im not sure if it will be to hot for them here.

3. mskackle

mskackle Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    I am always hearing bobwhite quail are harder to raise then the cortunix. Is this true? If so what kind of measures or steps do I need to follow to make everything work. I plan just to start off with just 30 bobwhite eggs at first.

4. SuseyQ

SuseyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2016
    AZ Birds,
    How are your quail doing in the heat? I'm in southern NM and it's not that hot everyday, but we do get that type of heat many times in the summer.

Thank You,
    SuseyQ

5. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    AZ Birds hasn't been to BYC for almost 3 years, so don't expect an answer.

Heat's fine, just give them shade and lots of water. Cold's fine, just give them shelter from the wind and lots of water.

If you haven't yet listened to this, do so.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/quail-q-n-a

6. Jaybird14

Jaybird14 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    The podcast guy has some great, real life, info.

7. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Jaybird14 and Em Ty,
    Thanks for all your insight. The survival guy sounds good. Now if I just lived in a place that had water..... I live in the desert of NM. :) The high desert (elevations around 4,500, so yes we do get cold weather, but not long winters.

SuseyQ

8. Em Ty

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    Jack's much, much more about gardening and self-sufficiency. He's certainly not a tinfoil had guy.

There are ways to maximize the amount of water on your land. Permaculture is the key.

9. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Em Ty,
    Well we only average 8" of rain a year here so I'm not sure how to get more water on our land. We looked into a well, but it would cost over $20,000. Not too thrilled about spending that kind of money. I'll have to check out permaculture. I understand the gardening and self-sufficiency thing, but our current land doesn't really support this. We only have 1 acre and it's in a subdivision.

SuseyQ

10. Em Ty

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    It's not how much you get, it's keeping it.

8" over an acre is over 217,000 gallons. I bet you could do a lot with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by